US Vogue September 2019 : Taylor Swift by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

I'm happy to see her on the cover and like her ed, but I'm not a fan of the cover shot.

someone tell me the page count pleeeeease

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who’s just oh so powerful in the industry, who can get cover stars with tens of millions of followers on social media, she CAN and SHOULD be doing better with sales, the rest of the industry be damned. Period. And YouTube views and likes don’t translate to sales, this has been reported extensively and we all know this. So? And? What’s your point?

Um. You do know there are plenty of people who will never get Vogue covers, who do care about being on Sports Illustrated or Rolling Stone. Give me a break.

Viola Davis and Tessa Thompson aren’t good enough for Vogue, but they both have Time covers. I’m pretty sure they’re proud of that accomplishment. I mean, if they sat around holding their breath for a cover from Anna, they’d be dead and buried at this point.

That’s just silly.

Give me a damn break, no one said anything about Bazaar being better. But since you bought it up, the fact that you would even think to compare the two is your subconscious talking. Telling on yourself with that post.

And let’s not forget the fact that politicians, etc aren’t getting Vogue covers, they’re only inside because they’re too old. Time magazine, etc. is the only place they’ll be cover worthy.

You all are really trying it. But anything to stand up for your queen.

And PS: what’s the point of having access to all these big names when she puts garbage pop stars and mediocre models on covers. And British white women under the age of 30. When if there’s anytime in her tenure to step out the box, is now and do something different. Shake things up. Be a leader for a change not because no one has yet to have knocked you off your pedestal but because you have the creativity and courage to try something new and speak to people and audiences you have marginalized/ignored the past 30 years.

Give me Edward’s cover and effort to reach out to new people and audiences to potentially INCREASE mag sales than this garbage any day of the week.

Give me a damn break. There’s no where in my post where I specifically argued that that 2014 cover was the linchpin in the downfall. But that’s where I STARTED to see the magazine lose its luster in the average person’s eyes.

With all the racism, sexism, homo/transphobia, Islamophobia and general hostility to any one and any idea who’s not the establishment and anointed by the establishment on these forums, yes you’re all out of touch.

So all you Anna defenders/sycophants keep living in your 2009 bubble with your head in the sand. You’ll get your reality check eventually.

Well I’ll agree with you on one thing, Vogue is certainly not a big enough deal to be as pressed about it as you are.

I've seen the cover so many times on Instagram etc. over the past day that it's grown on me massively and I now love it. I haven't bought US Vogue in so long, but I might jump back in with this one. Hopefully the content will deliver and it's a decent size.

I used to buy every issue of this magazine, even when it was a dire month, I loved collecting it but the price became ridiculous in the UK - especially noticeable for the summer issues when they are as thin as a pamphlet. It makes me sad that it's fallen by the wayside with me, but I might start back in and just get March and September issues, and then any particularly good ones throughout the year.

Looking back, the last issue of US Vogue I can remember buying was March 2016 with Adele.

Even if I've liked a cover, when I've lifted the actual issue off the newsstand, there hasn't been anything inside that warrants paying the import price, which has spiralled ever higher in recent years.

but I might start back in and just get March and September issues, and then any particularly good ones throughout the year.

That's how I collect as well! March, September, December, and the months which tickles my fancy. Sadly for me, they've been doing great January covers and content for the past 3 years which makes me buy that issue with a heavy heart due to the criminally low page count.

For someone who’s just oh so powerful in the industry, who can get cover stars with tens of millions of followers on social media, she CAN and SHOULD be doing better with sales, the rest of the industry be damned. Period. And YouTube views and likes don’t translate to sales, this has been reported extensively and we all know this. So? And? What’s your point?

Um. You do know there are plenty of people who will never get Vogue covers, who do care about being on Sports Illustrated or Rolling Stone. Give me a break.

Viola Davis and Tessa Thompson aren’t good enough for Vogue, but they both have Time covers. I’m pretty sure they’re proud of that accomplishment. I mean, if they sat around holding their breath for a cover from Anna, they’d be dead and buried at this point.

That’s just silly.

Give me a damn break, no one said anything about Bazaar being better. But since you bought it up, the fact that you would even think to compare the two is your subconscious talking. Telling on yourself with that post.

And let’s not forget the fact that politicians, etc aren’t getting Vogue covers, they’re only inside because they’re too old. Time magazine, etc. is the only place they’ll be cover worthy.

You all are really trying it. But anything to stand up for your queen.

And PS: what’s the point of having access to all these big names when she puts garbage pop stars and mediocre models on covers. And British white women under the age of 30. When if there’s anytime in her tenure to step out the box, is now and do something different. Shake things up. Be a leader for a change not because no one has yet to have knocked you off your pedestal but because you have the creativity and courage to try something new and speak to people and audiences you have marginalized/ignored the past 30 years.

Give me Edward’s cover and effort to reach out to new people and audiences to potentially INCREASE mag sales than this garbage any day of the week.

Give me a damn break. There’s no where in my post where I specifically argued that that 2014 cover was the linchpin in the downfall. But that’s where I STARTED to see the magazine lose its luster in the average person’s eyes.

With all the racism, sexism, homo/transphobia, Islamophobia and general hostility to any one and any idea who’s not the establishment and anointed by the establishment on these forums, yes you’re all out of touch.

So all you Anna defenders/sycophants keep living in your 2009 bubble with your head in the sand. You’ll get your reality check eventually.
Damn! You went IN girl. I must say though, you do have some really good points that I agree with.

The outdoor shot of her jumping was the cover, too bad they blew it.

Reactions: MON
Both covers are bland & boring, only one photo is fine on her spread. I though than Gigi Hadid was the cover girl of this issue, but Swift wants more publicity about the things around her & the release of her new album.

US Vogue isn't an anomaly, though. Eventually they're going to stop printing magazines. The industry as a whole is in trouble, several titles have been shut down, others are no longer releasing 12 issues a year, others are lucky to have 100 pages an issue. Anna isn't doing everything right, but no one else is either and in some ways there's really only so much you can do. Anna's relied more on putting people on the cover who get attention online (where everyone lives, as you said) so the mere fact that you're reading about Vogue/Anna all over, in my opinion, speaks to their success. Vogue has a very popular online presence. What other magazines have YouTube channels with plenty of videos earning tens of millions of views, tens of millions of social media followers on instagram, etc. To say US Vogue is going downhill in terms of sales or popularity or influence or what have you is one thing, but who is doing better by those same measures?

Just to add more weight to this comment.:

WWD List: 13 Biggest Media Brands by Social Following
A look at the 13 largest media brands by size of followings on the major social platforms.

By Kali Hays on July 29, 2019

A list of the biggest media brands ranked by social followings.

As people spend more time using their phones to follow the news and trends, social media has become increasingly important for media brands to reach readers.

Last year, almost 58 percent of all web visits were driven by mobile use and the remaining 42 percent came from desktop, according to researcher Perficient Digital. Although desktop use retains people for longer than mobile (about 11 minutes and six minutes, respectively) mobile is still driving traffic and reach, something media brands need to grow in order to gain ad revenue. And they are gaining on it. Researcher eMarketer projects ad spend for mobile will hit $93 billion this year, making it the largest single ad market in the U.S. The next largest is TV, with an expected $69 billion in ad spend this year.

While search is vital to any media company’s brand and to driving traffic, social media also does that, as well as raise awareness of a magazine or news outlet more generally. Given its continued reach and importance, here WWD breaks down the 13 biggest media brands by social audience as of June, combining Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

1. National Geographic, 182 million followers

With its focus on photography, National Geographic has a sweet spot on Instagram with 112 million followers. Facebook comes in at 46 million “likes” and Twitter with 23 million. The magazine also has the most successful strategy of brand offshoots on social. Accounts for National Geographic Traveler have 45 million followers; National Geographic Magazine has 22 million total followers, and National Geographic Adventure has 15 million.

2. ESPN The Magazine, 66.7 million followers

Even with a massive following, ESPN’s 21-year-old magazine is shutting down in print after September. When the Disney-owned company revealed its plan at the end of April, it said the “vast majority” of its readers consumed its content, including pieces that ran in print, on digital platforms, leaving print to serve little purpose. The outlet has the most followers on Twitter with 34 million, followed by close to 20 million on Facebook and 13 million on Instagram.

3. The New York Times, 66.2 million followers

The Times, like every other newspaper in the U.S., experienced severe financial fallout in the wake of the Great Recession. But in the decade since, it’s pulled through, led by its expanding digital business and a successful online-only subscription model. The paper has the majority of followers on Twitter, with 43.8 million, with 16 million on Facebook and more than six million on Instagram.

4. Vogue, 46.4 million followers

Again, with its focus on fashion and celebrity, Vogue is unsurprisingly big on Instagram, where it has almost 24 million followers. The magazine has also eagerly embraced the Kardashian-Jenner clan, which arguably contributed to some of its early growth on the platform. But its nearly 14 million followers on Twitter and nine million on Facebook are nothing to sneeze at.

5. Food Network Magazine, 45.5 million followers

The Food Network is popular on TV, so it’s no wonder a magazine for recipes and products would find a following online. But its demo is largely on Facebook, where it has about 32 million followers. Instagram is a far-off second with nine million followers and Twitter with just under five million.

6. The Economist, 36.3 million followers

While it calls itself a “newspaper” and is far from photo-heavy, tweeting about its features, data and articles from its luxury publication 1873 has gained The Economist a large following of nearly 24 million on Twitter. Facebook is next, with nine million followers, then Instagram, with 3.5 million followers.

7. Huffington Post, 23.5 million followers

The first digital-only media brand on the list. With its news and opinion focus, Twitter is HuffPo’s largest platform with 11.5 million followers, and Facebook is next with 10 million followers. Instagram is less popular for the brand, with a relatively few two million followers.

8. BuzzFeed, 22.4 million followers

As the original purveyor of memes and “viral” content, BuzzFeed is biggest on Facebook, with 11 million followers. Adding hard news to the mix in recent years, the outlet’s audience on Twitter has grown to 6.5 million and Instagram, where it focuses on light content and lists, has almost five million followers.

9. The Washington Post, 22.1 million followers

Similar to the Times, the Post had a scary postrecession time of it, but was bought several years ago by Amazon founder and currently the world’s richest man, Jeff Bezos. Although privately owned by Bezos, meaning its financials are not disclosed like the public Times, the Post has built out its investigative units and certainly experiences a “Trump bump” with aggressive coverage of the Trump administration. It’s also built up its digital business and social followings, with nearly 14 million followers on Twitter, 6.2 million on Facebook and two million on Instagram.

10. People, 21.63 million followers

As a relatively safe place for celebrities to go for their own news (outside of their own Instagram feeds), and its mix of royals, true crime and even some investigative work, People roundly beats other celebrity magazines in terms of audience size. The magazine has a relatively even audience size across the three platforms, with 7.7 million followers on Facebook, 7.5 million on Twitter and 6.5 on Instagram.

11. NowThis, 19 million

The video-only outlet, part of Group Nine, came up during a brief time when new media brands were not only launching on digital, but also only on Facebook. Being so platform-dependent didn’t work out for many brands, but NowThis managed and quickly built out its own site and other social platforms. Nevertheless, NowThis still has its biggest audience on Facebook, with 15 million followers. Twitter is second, with about 2.5 million, and Instagram followers number just under two million.

12. Elle, 16.5 million followers

Even though the focus of Elle is largely fashion and celebrity, it’s also big on reported features. So its largest following is actually on Twitter, where it has almost seven million. Facebook is second with 4.3 million followers and then Instagram with 4.3 million.

13. The New Yorker, 16.3 million followers

Rounding out the list is The New Yorker. The magazine’s largest following is on Twitter, where it has 8.6 million followers and publishes a mix of its news content, but also plenty of cartoons and humor pieces from its “Shouts & Murmurs” section, all of which tend to play well on the platform. Facebook and Instagram are very close in size, with 4.2 million and 3.4 million followers, respectively.

WWD

I mean, some of guys are really into it!

It’s silly to compare US Vogue to UK Vogue or any other Vogue because the scales or impact are not the same. The reality is that we are in a very short-lived period in terms of information.

People don’t consume magazines the same way they consumed a decade ago and to be honest, people are also confused about what is right to do and what should be done.

Anna’s biggest quality is her biggest flaw: she is a business woman. And the problem with that each issue reflect a business move. And it’s harder to hide it at a time when the entire American fashion industry is struggling.
Generally in those times, it pays in a long term to take risks and try something new but the business mind always wants to play it safe because there’s a fear of losing sales...

But don’t be twisted, US Vogue is still a magazine that counts. It is still the most important culturally. The magazine is not dead because Anna was clever at creating other buzz worthy things around the magazine that actually other editions of Vogue or any other magazine don’t have.

Edward, Emmanuelle or Farneti can only deliver good or bad issues but after the issue is released, there’s nothing. The content of VP on YouTube for example is appalling!

And being of Vogue is still important. People wants to be on UK Vogue because it’s the hottest Vogue in town and because it’s the new platform for this new narrative of progressivism that celebrities are into. But, US Vogue and Anna can give access to the world of High Fashion to people. The « i’m Co-signed » by Anna still means something and is still the biggest co-sign in the industry, TRUST ME.

Look at Taylor previous cover... Suddenly, she was buddy buddy with Nicolas Ghesquiere and wore exclusive Vuitton. It served her narrative even if in reality, nobody cares about her in the fashion industry.

I personally believe that it’s the time for Vogue to go back to models and to have more control on their narrative. I think that social media has prepared models for celebrity culture and the rest. And Vogue can recreate a phenomenon around models and control their narrative again.

She's wearing this:

Louis Vuitton FW2019

_FIO0567.jpg

voguerunway.com

^^
That color is so unforgiving! To think that they have produced it and that it is selling for 3600€ is insane. Good luck for any woman trying to buy this. It’s like the worst thing to wear from that collection.

It can look good on a guy tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirrormodel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->