Victoria's Secret models going high fashion!

Maybe this shift is not by choice! From theimagist in May:

The Hiss Squad is in the ultimate tizzy at the thought that one of fashion's biggest brands might be dropping its penchant for locking coveted girls into seven figure contracts. Some sources hold that certain girls (maybe 2 or 3) will still be held in place while others allege the shut out will be total. Does it mean that the model-as-household name is doomed to extinction. Those glossy girls had better battle to prove otherwise in the upcoming months.

Diversify or perish! Or have a baby! All the sudden rush for editorials seems to confirm this.

Well I think Doutzen was an HF model before VS if i remembered correctly. I think Doutzen is a great model, along with Miranda Kerr

I hope "official" VS girls stop doing HF, partly because I feel itched in my brain seeing them at HF wks, partly because models in my country keep walking on non-lingerie runways as if they're at VSFS, which is a ridiculously huge pain to my eyes.

Can we get the title changed to Commercial models going high fashion?:innocent::ninja::doh: I mean, it's not just VS girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
KK from the KK thread

Originally Posted by tanii94 View Post
Allow me.^

Runway:

Chanel Resort 2011
Giles Deacon A/W 2010 (C)
Louis Vuitton A/W 2010
Loewe A/W 2010
Pronovias Bridal 2011

Elie Saab HC A/W 2010 (O) - Exclusive

Editorials:

Dazed & Confused August 2010 Editorial
V Magazine #66 Editorial
View of the Times 2010 Cover + Editorial
Vogue Hellas May 2010 Cover
Vogue Spain September 2010 Editorial
Vogue UK August 2010 Editorial
Vogue US September 2010 Feature
W June 2010 Editorial
W July 2010 Editorial

Campaigns:

Anne Klein A/W 2010
Elie Saab A/W 2010

Films:

Remember Now (Chanel Resort)

Upcoming:

Interview September 2010
ELLE US Editorial
ELLE France Cover + Editorial (?)

Am I forgetting anything?

does anyone want to comment on the current backlash that's going on with Miranda landing the Vogue Italia september issue thread? It isn't pretty.

I think that the simple cover isn't helping her. But I think she looks gorgeous and I am glad she got the cover. It's time to move on people, she is obviously a MODEL lol

Maybe I'm biased because I've a huge Miranda Kerr fan and I've been a fan of hers from the very early stages of her career. But I think the editorial for Vogue Italia is amazing, even if people say the cover is boring. Sure, it may not be the most interesting cover but there's nothing wrong with simplicity.
I really feel that her recent work has shown and proven that she can be a high fashion model. But you know, there's always someone that's gonna hate~

commercial or not, Miranda is a bland model. notice the actual former HF models aren't getting any backlash.KK, Doutzen and even AnaBB's comebacks are welcomed:D

^Exactly. People are a bit too quick to assume we all don't like it because she's a VS model. Personally I neither like the cover shot nor Miranda as a model and it has nothing to do with her being a commercial model normally. In fact I love seeing the VS models everywhere at the moment, in spite of only liking Adriana Lima and Ana BB (if you count her as a VS model) out of the bunch.

What I do like about Miranda's VI cover is that they went for 'cute' instead of 'sexy' (even if I hate the theme for a VI cover which I expect to me more original and eye catching than this). Because what's the point of all these girls crossing over to HF when they keep doing underwear and swimsuit shots? I think Ale for example is doing a great job at picking various different jobs that prove she's actually a great model that can do lots of different things.

I actually think Miranda's strength is in looking very bland and very edgy at the same time. She is both very commercial and high fashion at the same time.

As a big fan of Miranda's, I can only really give a biased opinion but I think it's very interesting with Miranda, unlike her fellow VS girls, Miranda has never been hf. She's never had the support of big names within the industry, and in an interview she said she got turned down by designers in the beginning for being 'too pretty' or 'too plain' and well, just not 'edgy' enough. And so, you'd expect with this current craze of commercial girls booking HF jobs, it would be the girls who at least started out in HF who will gain the most success out of this? No, it's the girl who's modeling profile mainly consists of catalog work.

The combination of her commercial look + commercial background hardly makes up for anything welcoming. She hasn't been taken serious enough from day 1. But in the end of the day, does that really matter if people here don't take her serious enough? Hate her or love her if you must but that girl is going big places. And I'm loving every minute of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
commercial or not, Miranda is a bland model. notice the actual former HF models aren't getting any backlash.KK, Doutzen and even AnaBB's comebacks are welcomed:D
True AnaBB, who I personally don't get but neither do I care enough to make negative comments about, does not seem to get a lot of flack, but Doutzen definitely gets flack and Karolina's recent high fashion work is so infrequent and low risk that there is not enough there there to get a trend line.
---

There is absolutely a contingent of people who are opposed to established commercial models scoring high fashion gigs, and the models who did not get their start in high fashion get extra ire, nevertheless all models have detractors and if Miranda and Ale weren't getting hate because of their commercial roots, it would be something else - their commercial ties are just the simplest thing to construct a (negative) sentence around. I dunno, some of the anti-commercial / VS comments are so absurd and since 98% of the models who get high profile work get hated on, it is probably better to have the cuckoo comments be on the record than more reasoned opposition

^Exactly. People are a bit too quick to assume we all don't like it because she's a VS model. Personally I neither like the cover shot nor Miranda as a model and it has nothing to do with her being a commercial model normally. In fact I love seeing the VS models everywhere at the moment, in spite of only liking Adriana Lima and Ana BB (if you count her as a VS model) out of the bunch.

What I do like about Miranda's VI cover is that they went for 'cute' instead of 'sexy' (even if I hate the theme for a VI cover which I expect to me more original and eye catching than this). Because what's the point of all these girls crossing over to HF when they keep doing underwear and swimsuit shots? I think Ale for example is doing a great job at picking various different jobs that prove she's actually a great model that can do lots of different things.

I agree with you so much on this point; that's what I've said from the very beginning! at this point Miranda doesn't look like a model on the cover of VI, but just another "VS commercial girl" which I actually don't like, especially not for the september issue.

as for alessandra, I've never cared for her regardless of commercial or HF, but that's just a personal preference. However, I'm glad she's doing more abstract HF work to separate herself from the VS stereotype.

Any predictions as to which shows they will walk for the NY next week? I believe most if not all might be walking, as they have showcards(with the exception of Miranda and Doutzen of course).

what about KK? does she have a showcard? anyone know?

i really hope to see Ale and Miranda. and it'd be amazing if Candice did something.

what about KK? does she have a showcard? anyone know?

she does, its on the img website.

Anna Wintour’s Public Fashion Show Will Be Full of Supermodels
9/2/10 at 12:02

If you were one of the lucky 1,500 to score tickets to Fashion’s Night Out: The Show, then consider it money well spent. Vogue promised that there would be 150 top models (that’s, like, a ten-to-one normal-person-to-model ratio!) at New York City’s largest-ever public fashion show, and the names are even bigger than we expected. Alessandra Ambrosio, Gisele Bündchen, Naomi Campbell, Lily Donaldson, Karolina Kurkova, Adriana Lima, Angela Lindvall, Sasha Pivovarova, and Coco Rocha will all be walking the runway at Lincoln Center. And if you can’t watch the spectacle unfold in person, André Leon Talley and Vogue.com contributor Hanneli Mustaparta will be hosting a live webcast on CBS.com.

Of course, the premise of this whole event is to showcase designer duds next to their bargain-store doppelgängers. With all those big names on one runway, let’s just hope there aren’t any fights over who gets to wear the Balenciaga and who’s stuck in the Charlotte Russe.

nymag.com

Hah! Cool! I bet we'll see most of the VS girls there, then...with 150 models there should be a spot for everyone!

lol yeah, can't wait to see Ana, I am sure she'll be there too. This is like a VSFS reunion haha.

The return of the curvier/commercial/VS model to HF has been a little underwhelming so far in terms of castings.

So far we've seen KK at Alexander Wang and Alessandra at Marc Jacobs. They both looked fantastic, but I'm curious to see how this plays out throughout the rest of the season.

Alessandra is definitely working for her HF cred and there's no doubt that she's separating herself from the pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->