Vogue Paris June/July 2011 : Isabeli Fontana by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Even though the inspiration to Linda's Cuba editorial is really evident, still, I think this is a great editorial. Isabeli has managed to pull of the short hairdo so well. Plus, she just looks so damn gorgeous in those clothes. Well, since when she has not, right? :wink: I do also love the use of colors here. Not that over-the-top, Bourdin-esque, color explosion that we usually see with M&M's work. This is just a relaxed spread that is so good to look at.

I was a bit iffy on the cover, but the main story has sealed the deal for me. It's excellent and I'm buying this just for that Pucci shot. :heart:

Although it's an unashamed blatant rip-off, I still think it has it's own merits and there is no doubting that Isabeli looks as beautiful and sexy and sultry as she ever has. Both the original and this editorial are aesthetically pleasing and I would imagine that some folks new to fashion would not have known about Linda's edit.
In fact these would probably be the best judge, as they would have had nothing to compare it to.
M&M are masters with their use of colour and the choices of clothing here are damn near perfection. A good job IMO.

Is the male model Celement?

Btw, the ed is beautiful! I love it. Isabeli looks gorgeous.

love the cover and ed but when the Lind was posted i realized that there can never be another Linda!

In all seriousness I do like this. I do admit that its hard to give justice to that timeless Meisel's work but that's minor I'd say... and It's the thought that counts.

I :heart: Linda and most of the other supers but most of them can''t emote any more due to botox and whatnot.

I like both eds but I agree with this assessment. I like the current ed quite a bit with the styling being one of the strengths and dare I say that Isabeli, who I often think is beautiful but flat, actually had life in this ed, but I do agree that the other ed utilized the setting better and was grittier in a good way. The current ed is more about the fashion and the Meisel / Evangelista ed is more about the story.

You read my mind.

Anyway I have to add that at first I loved the photo of the cover (not the hole cover, the font and the color of the masthead is horrible) but once I've seen how similar to the one with Linda is the hole editorial it has lost some of its charm, in ay case I like Isabeli and the styling but of course it's nothing compared to the original.

I consider Emmanuelle a great stylist, you just have to look around the "Vogue Paris under Carine Roitfeld" thread to realized it but she has stuck to a single style for too much time, now that she's EIC seems like she's trying to vary more but I'm afraid that she's also taking away the coherence Carine gave to the magazine, Carine could surprised us and bring new things but you could see her work as an editor (not just an stylist) in the coherence VP has had through 10 years ... Alt must be careful cause VP could easily become another British Vogue or any other publication with no identity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isabeli is a stunning lady that can pull off anything. Actually after "redemption(?)" each issue of VP has failed to grab my attention. Everything appears too plain bread. Carine will be greatly missed!

^I agree. vogue has become really boring... there's no magic!

Review:

Canicule
M: Isabeli Fontana
St: Emmanuelle Alt
Ph: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Soleil noir
M: Raquel zimmerman
St: Beat Bolliger
Ph: David Sims

Sea, Air & Sun
M: Anja Rubik
St: Marie Chaix
Ph: Hans Feurer
To be more precise it's four pics that illustrate an article

Osmose (1pic)
M: Daria Werbowy
St: Emmanuelle Alt
Ph: Inez & Vinoodh

Downtown
M: Sasha Pivovarova
St: Joe McKenna
Ph: Inez & Vinoodh

Paradis bleu
M: Karmen Pedaru
St: Anastasia Barbieri
Ph: Cedric Buchet

Une fille, un style
Isabelle Kountoure

Eniko is the beauty ed, Anna de rijk in Miss Vogue. I think i also spotted Snejana in the Zoom feature (2 pics) and two picture for the Bijoux feature (by Giampolo Sgura).

Thanks a lot for the review but i must say the model choice becomes extremely boring now... same 5-6 girls all the time... all surprise element is gone...

thank you for the review :flower:, i'm disappointed that Daria has only 1 page, and thank god Raquel is back :P, it's been almost a year since her last ed.
looks like Sasha and Karmen are now regulars in every issue, but i'm glad it's by different photographers this time.
looks like a strong issue, and nice to see Snejana again.
still no Natasha :o

Thanks a lot for the review but i must say the model choice becomes extremely boring now... same 5-6 girls all the time... all surprise element is gone...

IA. but I guess the advertisers don't want to see much changes made to VP at this moment.

Ok, now I'm officially bored...
The same models again....
Anja fourth time in a row? Seriously? Sure she can deliver, but that's just unimaginative and boring.

I've just received the issue. The cover is better than I expected. It does look good.
Sasha's Downtown ed is my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->