The Model Agency Mega Thread

or mostly that the agency finds the models work as clients request models, the agency decides to put some models forward to them and the client decides.

Yes it is more or or less in that way.
A client send a request to agencies about the type of girl they need for the job, and the agency will propose him a few girls that they think might be suitable.

At the best level, when an agency sign a new face they really believe in, they will not wait that a client might "need" her , they will send her to meet their few best clients very quickly , expecting one of these client to really like and girl to book her as soon as he can for a job without passing the usual casting step.

Yes it is more or or less in that way.
A client send a request to agencies about the type of girl they need for the job, and the agency will propose him a few girls that they think might be suitable.

At the best level, when an agency sign a new face they really believe in, they will not wait that a client might "need" her , they will send her to meet their few best clients very quickly , expecting one of these client to really like and girl to book her as soon as he can for a job without passing the usual casting step.

Thanks for your reply. So you don't think models find work themselves cause with some local agencies... some models can tend to find work for themselves.
Would you say it is best a model try and get an agency most clients tend to work with in that city and how can an aspiring model tell which agencies are the best for her?

Thanks for your reply. So you don't think models find work themselves cause with some local agencies... some models can tend to find work for themselves.
Would you say it is best a model try and get an agency most clients tend to work with in that city and how can an aspiring model tell which agencies are the best for her?

^ No that is the most unprofessional thing a model could do, it would harm the agency big time. At least when we talk about fashion model agencies.

I think it's does not matter so much to which of the top 5 agencies in NY, London and Paris a model signs if she is striking. It is hard to point of who is the best agency for aspiring models, because it depends on many factors.
But you can say you have found the best agency for a model when they truly think you can become huge and are willing to push and invest in you.
Some agencies have better relationships to certain top notch clients than other agencies but all in all they all share the market. Just WM in Paris for example has strong connection to Givenchy, IMG has strong relationship with the people at Editions Jalou (they publish magazines like L'Officle, Jalouse among others)...

^ No that is the most unprofessional thing a model could do, it would harm the agency big time. At least when we talk about fashion model agencies.

That's interesting you say it could harm the agency big time. I think it's always best when the agency finds the models work. I think there was a fake advert I saw on a site for models who look for jobs from casting calls, the advert was for Terry Richardson shoot. It looked obviously fake, people should be careful to avoid that.
Agencies don't work the same as recruitment agencies then cause I know with recruitment agencies they find you work and also request you hand in your resume to places. I guess that with models, the agencies are fully responsible for finding you work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting you say it could harm the agency big time. I think it's always best when the agency finds the models work. I think there was a fake advert I saw on a site for models who look for jobs from casting calls, the advert was for Terry Richardson shoot. It looked obviously fake, people should be careful to avoid that.
Agencies don't work the same as recruitment agencies then cause I know with recruitment agencies they find you work and also request you hand in your resume to places. I guess that with models, the agencies are fully responsible for finding you work.

Yes exactly, otherwise models wouldn't have to hire and pay agents. It's harmful in a way that the model (who wants to find work herself) makes industry people think that her agency is not good enough to book her jobs (which is super bad for the agency's reputation)

i would say it just depends of one thing: Success:smile:

the agency is irrelevant, there are girls on IMG or Next web site, who did not book more than 2 jobs in one year, some others are in the few best working girls in the world...

I think it's does not matter so much to which of the top 5 agencies in NY, London and Paris a model signs if she is striking. It is hard to point of who is the best agency for aspiring models, because it depends on many factors. But you can say you have found the best agency for a model when they truly think you can become huge and are willing to push and invest in you.

I generally agree with what you guys are saying but surely how well a model is managed plays a part in that success, in which case, the agency is a relevant factor? Or I should say the booker that model has at said agency. I'd think that even a girl or guy with an incredible look will ultimately not be as successful as they could be if not marketed correctly. How do clients really select one model with the right look over another with the right look, unless one has a better sell (hype/pull from her agency or what have you)?

How else to explain how a model could toil away at one agency, perhaps for years not booking particularly prestigious work, and then suddenly make it big at another agency (given that her look hasn't changed drastically)? I think that the idea of it just being "her time" while true in some sense is a bit romantic in an industry that is rather deliberate and calculated IMO.

Also, how does a model know that her agency is actively trying to push her career to the next level or whether they're just empty promises? Is this mainly based on rapport? Even if she does have a good relationship with her booker, how does she know that they have the ability to do so or do most agencies at the top level have more or less the same influence/connections with major clients?

I generally agree with what you guys are saying but surely how well a model is managed plays a part in that success, in which case, the agency is a relevant factor? Or I should say the booker that model has at said agency. I'd think that even a girl or guy with an incredible look will ultimately not be as successful as they could be if not marketed correctly. How do clients really select one model with the right look over another with the right look, unless one has a better sell (hype/pull from her agency or what have you)?

How else to explain how a model could toil away at one agency, perhaps for years not booking particularly prestigious work, and then suddenly make it big at another agency (given that her look hasn't changed drastically)? I think that the idea of it just being "her time" while true in some sense is a bit romantic in an industry that is rather deliberate and calculated IMO.

Also, how does a model know that her agency is actively trying to push her career to the next level or whether they're just empty promises? Is this mainly based on rapport? Even if she does have a good relationship with her booker, how does she know that they have the ability to do so or do most agencies at the top level have more or less the same influence/connections with major clients?

I agree, I do think the agencies play a very big part because Lara Stone switched from Elite to IMG and finally got so much work if you remember. That's the evidence. It's very important models can be relaxed that their agency is doing them a good job. You can also see that it's the agencies who find work and not more to do with the clients who ask for models because Elite is a top agency and if you see Hannah Holman and Bambi Northwood Blyth have done well with Elite, Abbey Lee Kershaw has done well with Next and they are nowhere near as big as IMG is on certain levels, big but not as big as IMG. So you can see it is all down to the agency and booker and how they work for the model really. It can get confusing.

What does IMO stand for?

Yup, my contract bans it explicitly (or I'd be liable for any damage I do to them through that AND it could mean the end of the contract). I found that interesting

This is such an informative thread, glad I found it! :smile:

I have a question... I'm gonna live in Northwest US (Seattle) for a while, I know it's kind of a desert in terms of good model agencies there but do you have any recommendations of model agencies in/around Seattle? How about Vancouver? It's not far from Seattle and I can afford going there, I think.

I'd totally want to try out big agencies in NY or LA because I have the height requirements (still working on the weight though) and I have an Asian look (don't know if that helps or worsens my chances), but the thing is that I'm afraid I can't afford all the costs (flights, hotel) it's gonna cost me. Knowing that I'll go to university too, I just want to start small in the US... What do you think of this? (I already have a mother agency back at my home country)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle Model Guild and Hefner Model Management are both quite reputable.

Vancouver/Alberta I'd recommend Liz Bell, Richards and Key Model Management (in that order). Mode Models has a great reputation as well (in Alberta.) (these are all mostly mother agents but have small client bases in their home markets.)

Wayne Sterling, Stacey Eastman and Neal Hamil apparently are about to found their own NY agency (Mix Model Management) starting from September 2012. No idea if it's a management agency or only scouting, latter would not be so amusing but rather realistic ....

what a random bunch, and does nyc need another agency.. already elite paris are in the works of opening in new york

what a random bunch, and does nyc need another agency.. already elite paris are in the works of opening in new york

Really. The agencies that exist already are having a difficult time making money as it is and the top girls making big bucks have zero commission deals with their agencies already. How do these new agencies plan on actually making money in this economy.

And Wayne Sterling starting an agency? I guess MDC Top 50 will be all of his girls.

Seriously, I can't imagine Wayne Sterling being both as involved in an agency and keeping his status at Models.com, it would be like if people like Jeni Rose, Scott Lipps or Heinz Holba suddenly started a competitor of MDC... surely every weird situation is possible but I keep believing that he wouldn't dare to push it that far.

Then, even if I'm always excited, interested or, at least, curious when I hear about such a new project, there are a few details bothering me in that story. I've watched the video of introduction twice and it sounds very "I've done this while he's done that and we've been there" rather than explaining how this new agency will be different from the numerous ones already existing. A kind of "dream-team" on the paper doesn't necessarily means a fast future success. You need more than names and reputation to build up a strong management company, especially today when competition is tough and opportunities aren't legions. Let's remember some of the most successful stories when it comes to recent agencies were started in a relative silence. Who, except insiders, well-informed outsiders and their clients, really knew who were Eric Dubois or Steve Dellar before their companies had some frank breakthroughs? On the other side, Paul Rowland's Ford didn't exactly live up the expectations and hype. The way they introduce Mix Model Management let me fear that it falls into the second category, unfortunately. Though, I sincerely hope they'll prove me wrong and I hope to be surprised in time...

Also, another point that leaves me full of doubts is how they describe the more or less revolutionary approach of their agency. American models as the future of the business? Sounds like old news to me. Name me one agency in New York that isn't already getting a large part of its new faces from the USA. The country is huge and offers endless scouting possibilities plus a wide range of diversified looks which makes it very appealing for an agency. This, and also the fact these girls won't need visas, don't suffer from the language bareer and so on. That's why you already see a lot of American beauties at Next, IMG and others. And, for sure Pulse Management is a great name when it comes to US scouting systems but the big machine didn't really do better than smaller companies (think of Mother Management and others). So, if Stacey Eastman is certainly a good addition to the team but, in no way, a guarantee.

Time will tell for sure, and while many aspects are unclear, I hope they didn't unveil everything yet and keep some surprises for later... Wishful thinking?

already elite paris are in the works of opening in new york

Not much surprised when I read this... Since Louie was hired to head Elite NY, you could feel that the direction will be rather selective (tiny number of new faces per season combined to a solid roster of "big names"). While Elite Paris has become like a "baby IMG" these last few years by gathering tons of "models in development", due to their impressive scouting network (including the EML contest first of all).
The gap between these two systems certainly tells a lot on why a collaboration wouldn't be the easiest and the soundest thing in the world.

Meanwhile, Elite NY seems to work well with Oui Management already and it looks like they share a lot more than the two Elites.
And, Elite Paris got stronger and stronger these last years while they haven't managed yet to fix the situation overseas when it comes to finding the perfect partner. They used to work with One and New York Models, tried to work again with Elite NY then started with Ford plus some casual connections with Trump or Marilyn.

All in all, it sounds weird only because they share the same name (and logo...) but if you look at the agencies history or the people's stories (like Louie who comes from Women and back then, you could already see a big difference between the NY office and it's European sisters), it's not surprising at all such things are likely to happen and the two have to be considered as dramatically different entities.

Really. The agencies that exist already are having a difficult time making money as it is and the top girls making big bucks have zero commission deals with their agencies already. How do these new agencies plan on actually making money in this economy.

The answer is in your question...
since few years, there are more and more money backing from people with hugely deep pocket, who has absolutly no plan to make money in modeling, who just put money in agencies for reasons which goes from personal entertainement to cleaning dirty money for a couple of years...
it always existed, but it gets worst the last years.

In Milan and paris, if you take the last 2-3 years, absolutly all the few new agencies born are ALL money backed from people who has absolutly no intention to make any money of them.

It's my understanding that Mix (www.mixmodelmgmt.com, btw) is only working with Pulse as a mother agent. The video was made for Pulse as a testimonial to Stacey's scouting abilities... which he uses to promote and scout models in his own market. I don't think that he is a member of their team. I'm sure they will hire a director of scouting at some point or tackle it on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->