US Vogue August 2016 : Gigi Hadid & Ashton Eaton by Mario Testino

Not cover worthy. Maybe there were better shots than this, because I see neither fashion nor sport in this cover. Mario is done with Vogue and there is too much photoshop on Gigi, she looks like Karlie (who would have probably made this better). And that cropped arm.. This is a no for me.

I always hoped for Demarchelier to photograph her for the cover ala Vogue UK.

I still can't reconcile with that cropped arm

I like it. I think it fits US Vogue and my idea of it: the not so HF of the Big 4, the american sportier/easy going way of life.
I like the composition, color scheme and the styling of the cover and editorial (except the shoes, you can burn those!).

The editorial is nice, but is it cover worthy for what is supposed to be the biggest fashion magazine? Not at all, or at least for me.

I don't really get this cover. The theme is supposed to be the Olympics, but the "greatest athlete" (what's that all about btw?) is relegated to being nothing more than a background prop. Either take him out completely or give him more focus.

I like it. I think it fits US Vogue and my idea of it: the not so HF of the Big 4, the american sportier/easy going way of life.
I like the composition, color scheme and the styling of the cover and editorial (except the shoes, you can burn those!).
I agree! And the ed has that feeling as well, Gigi did really well in the shots, and i love Tonne's styling. Sometimes i feel like it can be a bit uncreative, but great job this time.

The editorial does look good. Gigi held up pretty well. I hope this is one of those US Vogue covers that look weak digitally, but are stronger in print.

Obviously the first photo is a cover try? Good thing it didn't make the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Look at the comments on the IG page, everyone is posting #NepotismIsNotFashion

I love the cover!!! GiGi looks striking looking into the the camera and Ashton Eaton looks good too. I love that they went simple yet amazing colors
This will for sure be amazing in person with the blue color and masthead. Happy for GiGi and happy to see another POC, Ashton.

And technically he is the greatest athlete considering he won gold in the DECATHLON in 2012 and most likely in Rio. I can't wait to get the issue.

Also, I believe the last Olympic cover June 2012 was a worst seller simply because it came out two months before the games even started.

I think it's a great cover, Gigi looks really good. And congrats to her, I think she is the youngest model to complete the Big Four in such a short time?

I think Karolina Kurkova did, actually. She landed all Big 4 covers in the span of 5 months when she was only 17 years old (2001).

I'm so happy for Gigi! She looks fantastic here. And this sporty styling is perfect for US Vogue. It's so American! And Gigi is the ultimate California girl.

This was shot in her home town of Santa Barbara, as well. She posted a lovely message on Instagram about it.

Excited for full edit in HQ

it's a bit cheesy, but the first shot in the slideshow (where they are both smiling) would have made a better cover than what was chosen...
i agree about the awkward arm placement in the cover shot; even if it's a foldout, it looks weird...
the shot of gigi and ashton hurdling side by side is the best shot in the entire editorial...stunning...

Also, kudos to Rihanna and Puma because GiGi wears Fenty Puma by Rihanna in all her editorial shots. That's big for American Vogue and RiRi.

It's not "Special Edition Vogue" like Kendall:lol::lol:
That Kendall thing was such a joke!

I'm really happy for Gigi. In two years, she has accomplished a lot of things and her sister is doing her own thing.

Out of all her big 4 Vogue covers, it's her worse. Testino is done for Vogue. He can't deliver anymore. He should focus on ads.

You'll stop laughing when you see the September cover... :ninja:

^ Oh God. :shock:

Anyway, I checked out the editorial and Gigi is just not the athletic model needed for this. Her body looks very limp, there is no real movement.

I would have loved to see Gisele in this.

The editorial is nice, but is it cover worthy for what is supposed to be the biggest fashion magazine? Not at all, or at least for me.

People say this, but like....... come on. Have you SEEN who's been on their cover for the past 25 years. This magazine isn't about "pure" fashion, it's about selling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a complete disaster, I think Mikael Jansson would have done a better job.
well I think any photographer would have done a better job. the styling is disgusting

Poor Gigi

I was looking forward to this, because I imagined Gigi would be like Blake Lively, another effortless blonde cover girl for US Vogue. But I suppose even Gisele had her bad covers, especially when teamed with sportspeople.

One complaint: what she's wearing. I understand it's for the Olympics blah blah but it isn't a nice outfit. Other than that, superb. Glad for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->