US Vogue August 2016 : Gigi Hadid & Ashton Eaton by Mario Testino

I really like Gigi, but I would not have noticed this cover on the magazine stand. Bland, so bland...

Pardon my ignorance but what is Gigi holding onto? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not supposed be resting on her forehead?

It´s a javaline. You hold near your head before releasing/throwing(?) it. I think it´s on her forehead for balance purposes :lol:

I wish this issue is an all fest of sporty styling, healthy looking models and not a single 90s inspired editorial :Pink:

Last edited by a moderator:
taylor is putting her best sis one after another on the cover of US vogue

She's not a model. She's fantastically ordinary, her connections must be superb. The fact that she's the main focus on this cover just shows you how skewed this world is.

^^^ “Fantastically ordinary” is what Anna’s Vogue aspires to be. And she must be revelling in the thick of it all, since high fashiondom is fantastically ordinary these days.

I don’t know why some are always expecting high fashion, top high fashion models and striking imagery when for years and years now, American Vogue is all about the most commercial celebrities in the most accessible imagery with catalogue flat-lighting. Anna’s Vogue sells because she appeals (even) to the lowest common denominator. People can blast Franca’s Vogue and Emmanuelle’s Vogue, but if nothing else, they are still selling a high fashion dream even when they’re not doing it so well. Anna’s Vogue is so dumbed down, and so far removed from high fashion that it’s all about Hollywood’s latest hypes and Victoria Secret models— whom are, to the general public, the only models that matter. It’s just another American Vanity Fair with few department-store fashion edits thrown in, I’ve no expectations from American Vogue to present high fashion, and to expect it, is to be repeatedly disappointed.

More thrilled for Gigi than with the cover itself. I've never been of these 'fashion meets sport' concepts (Kate Moss on UK Vogue's June 2012 cover has been the best example thus far, IMO). Gigi looks terrific here and that's about all I have to say..

^^^ “Fantastically ordinary” is what Anna’s Vogue aspires to be. And she must be revelling in the thick of it all, since high fashiondom is fantastically ordinary these days.

I don’t know why some are always expecting high fashion, top high fashion models and striking imagery when for years and years now, American Vogue is all about the most commercial celebrities in the most accessible imagery with catalogue flat-lighting. Anna’s Vogue sells because she appeals (even) to the lowest common denominator. People can blast Franca’s Vogue and Emmanuelle’s Vogue, but if nothing else, they are still selling a high fashion dream even when they’re not doing it so well. Anna’s Vogue is so dumbed down, and so far removed from high fashion that it’s all about Hollywood’s latest hypes and Victoria Secret models— whom are, to the general public, the only models that matter. It’s just another American Vanity Fair with few department-store fashion edits thrown in, I’ve no expectations from American Vogue to present high fashion, and to expect it, is to be repeatedly disappointed.

Could not have said this better myself, you took the words out of my mouth. However Gigi has been growing on me and (not on the cover though) in the editorial she seems to have given energy, let´s see the editorial...

You said it all Phuel. I don't understand why people expect more from American Vogue.
American Vogue is fashion for the masses. Yes maybe it was better before but fashion wasn't as trendy and important as it is today.
The only "high fashion" part of it is in the designers and maybe some of the models present in the magazine. Even the photographers work is not even representative of their aesthetic.

I've learned to like American Vogue for what it is instead of what my idea of Vogue is.

Where is kroqjock and his sarcastic yet so hilarious review?

I think that this cover ultimately is a fail because it failed to do the most basic thing that it was supposed to do, get buzz. The media did not really pick it up and people stopped talking about it after a few hours. Beyonce, Rihanna, and Serena has covers that the media talked about for days. Even Kendall had a supplement that was a hot topic. Gigi really doesn't have the star power that we're told that she has.

Why do I get the feeling that this Olympic-themed editorial woulda been better suited for Raquel Zimmermann? Oops, sorry, Anna Wintour doesn't like it when we mention dinosaur models.

REVIEW TIME!

#1 - Aiming High (15 pg)
PH: Mario Whatever
Style: Tonne Goodman
Model (?)/Celeb: Gigi Yes-Hadid and Ashton Eaton

#2 - Gold Standards (10 pg)
PH: Norman Jean Roy and Patrick Demarchelier
Style: Lawren Howell
Models/Celebs: Vanessa Axente with Jordan Spieth, Cameron Russell with Nathan Adrian and Matt Grevers, Imaan Hammam with Madison Hughes, Zack Test, Perry Baker, and Maka Unufe, Joan Smalls with Stephen "Overrated AF" Curry", Karlie Kloss with Daryl Homer

#3 - Back & Forth (10 pg)
PH: Patrick Demarchelier
Style: Tabitha Simmons
Models: Sara Sampaio, Grace Elizabeth, Pooja Mor, Grace Hartzel, Taylor Hill, Fernanda Ly, Irina Shayk, Frederikke Sofie

#4 - Rhythm & Blues (2 pc)
PH: David Sims
Style: Phyllis Posnick
Celeb: Jesse "I was the reason BvS sucked" Eisenberg

#5 - The Whirlwind (4 pg)
PH: Norman Jean Roy
Celeb: Wendi Murdoch

#6 - Mustique Mystique (6 pg)
PH: Francois Halard
Model: A very expensive-looking Caribbean beach house

#7 - Totally Chill (2 pg)
PH: Eric Boman
Models: Lime, Celery, Tomato, Onion, Chili Pepper, and WATERMELON!!!

#8 - True Blood (4 pg)
PH: Gregory Harris
Style: Sara Moonves
Celebs: Sarah True and Lauren Groff

#9 - The Space Between (2 pg)
PH: Steven Klein
Model (?:( Gigi Hadid and her gratuitous left breast

#10 - Soft Focus (8 pg)
Models: Rianne Von Rompaey, Ulrikke Hoyer, Grace Hartzel

I can already smell that Beyonce September issue!

Thank you for the review!
I'm quite curious about Gold standards, happy to see Pooja and pretty excited about Soft Focus.

My god, Grace Hartzel is the new Kloss/Trentini. Why?

And every other model has been in the magazine before. So not fresh.

Interested in Soft Focus though. Sounds pretty major for Harris.

Thanks a million for the review ❣ So August is no longer The Age issue?! Who knew i would miss it!!

Well done to Gigi for scoring the big four in less than twelve months.
It´s a lovely cover, perfect for the summertime, and both look good on it.

Why do I get the feeling that this Olympic-themed editorial woulda been better suited for Raquel Zimmermann? Oops, sorry, Anna Wintour doesn't like it when we mention dinosaur models.

Yes Raquel would have been perfect... little throwback to US Vogue April 2008, same photographer, same stylist, same poses and a blond model/a black decathlete!
Nice try Mario.

blog.naver.com/visuallure

Yes Raquel would have been perfect... little throwback to US Vogue April 2008, same photographer, same stylist, same poses and a blond model/a black decathlete!
Nice try Mario.

blog.naver.com/visuallure

OMFG it's almost identical!!
especially the shot with the javelin, the hurdling, and the one of him wearing his uniform...:shock:
that's really embarrassing...

YES that is the Raquel story I was thinking of earlier in the thread! A million times better then this. Also I see Matt Grevers, Jordan Speith and Steph Curry are in the Olympian/Models paring story...but they aren't even going to Rio smh this magazine

#10 - Soft Focus (8 pg)
Models: Rianne Von Rompaey, Ulrikke Hoyer, Grace Hartzel

Scanned by yours truly and a blueberry muffin

^^^ “Fantastically ordinary” is what Anna’s Vogue aspires to be. And she must be revelling in the thick of it all, since high fashiondom is fantastically ordinary these days. .... Anna’s Vogue is so dumbed down, and so far removed from high fashion that it’s all about Hollywood’s latest hypes and Victoria Secret models— whom are, to the general public, the only models that matter. It’s just another American Vanity Fair with few department-store fashion edits thrown in, I’ve no expectations from American Vogue to present high fashion, and to expect it, is to be repeatedly disappointed.

THIS. THIS. THIS.

This should be what Self Magazine is doing these days, not Vogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->