US Vogue February 2014 : Lena Dunham by Annie Leibovitz

We've Got Game
Photographer: Mario Testino
Model/Celebs/Athletes: Kate Upton, Prince Amukamara & Steve Weatherford, D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Muhammad Wilkerson, Victor Cruz, Vincent Piazza & Tracey Morgan & Bobby Cannavale & Jason Biggs, Woody Johnson & Al Kelly & Jonathan Tisch, Michael Strahan, Nick Mangold, and Jimmy Fallon
Styling: Tonne Goddman
Hair: Christiaan
Make Up: James Kaliardos
Grooming: Kenshin Asano

same source

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand... Why is a bunch of pictures of Lena Dunham cut out, and placed upon pictures of NY spots. Or is it supposed to look real? Confusing.

The dove.... Hahahahahaha

Just in case we hadn't seen Upton with enough athletes in Sports Illustrated.
Yawn to the entire issue.

Top Form is very US Vogue; we've seen the same type of editorial a thousand times. We've Got Game is just as boring.

Oh how I long for those amazing, multi-girl, Meisel editorials with Raquel, Sasha, Coco, Lily etc..

I actually think Top Form by Demarchelier looks very fresh and cute. I love the model cast and hair and make-up. The styling is lackluster, but the models are totally selling those boring outfits anyway. Very sweet, I like it.

Nothing else that we have seen from this issue interests me enough to comment on it. I look forward to the other Sasha P editorial and the other Demarchelier story.

Thanks for the review and the scans, kroqjock!

I think the cover is corky and cute but the editorials are boring. I totally miss Meisel in US Vogue but whatever.

The Demarchelier's story is very simple & great, in respect on the Kate's ed, is very boring & this will be included in GQ, no Vogue.

Without Meisel, US Vogue is not the same, really i miss an editorial of this man on the mag, for example i'm so tired than Testino is the Anna's fave & also sometimes some of his editorials are nice & the others are horrible.

The only thing than excites me is the story of Sasha by Jansson.

Personally, I find it despicable that people are trashing this issue so much. It's so obvious that it's solely because of its cover star as opposed to its actual content.

I'm no fan of Lena, but the cover of this issue is absolutely striking and well done, as is the accompanying editorial.

It's gross that so many people in the industry and on this website are unable to look past Lena's body type and looks. It's perfectly okay to not like her, or her show, or her values. But when judging a magazine, you have to put all of your biases aside. The way she wears the clothes, the way the editorial is shot. It's all very beautiful. A really different aesthetic than what we're used to seeing with American Vogue. I love it, and I don't see why others are so afraid to.

Does anybody even care what content is in the issue at this point? Cuz even when I list the edits below, you're still not going to buy it.

#6 - Duck, Duck, Goose (2 pg)
PH: Eric Boman
Model: A dead duck

Edie?

It's gross that so many people in the industry and on this website are unable to look past Lena's body type and looks. It's perfectly okay to not like her, or her show, or her values. But when judging a magazine, you have to put all of your biases aside. The way she wears the clothes, the way the editorial is shot. It's all very beautiful. A really different aesthetic than what we're used to seeing with American Vogue. I love it, and I don't see why others are so afraid to.
Personally, my not liking Lena's cover and editorial has absolutely nothing to do with her looks or her personality. I just feel that she looks forced and uncomfortable in all the shots.

I will definitely buy this issue. Top form is beautiful! Fei Fei is such a star! The Testino editorial is more lively than some of his recent work. So far I feel positive and energized by the images in this issue. I just read through the January issue from cover to cover and I'm quite impressed with Vogue again so hopefully this issue is just as nice to read as the last one.

Oh, and after looking at the Lena editorial again, she looks very charming and beautiful in many of the images. I hate Annie's work and the weird background/photoshopping stuff but I can't say that Lena or the styling is the problem. I wish she could have been paired with McDean for the cover story. ^_^

I'm really excited for this!

It's just Sasha photographed in a desert/community. Looks like something you would see in Numero.

Browsed through this today. There's also a shot of Riccardo Tisci with Joan Smalls shot by Inez & Vinoodh with an article about his collaboration with Nike.

Personally, I find it despicable that people are trashing this issue so much. It's so obvious that it's solely because of its cover star as opposed to its actual content.

I'm no fan of Lena, but the cover of this issue is absolutely striking and well done, as is the accompanying editorial.

WELL SAID. :clap:

I think it's a great cover. I love that US Vogue is doing something different.

Seeing the Jezebel article about how it's been Photoshopped makes me, well, wish they hadn't Photoshoped her, but considering the best models in the world get Photoshopped, it's not like it's a surprise.

Vogue isn't just about fashion, it's about culture. Lena completely deserves to be on the cover. Girls isn't just a NY media thing - so many women I know like it. It's sharp, it's observational style is perfect for the age of the 'selfie', and, most importantly, it's funny. It's impressive that Lena took the opportunities given to her and created the show. So many people have great ideas but do nothing. She's in her mid 20s and has created a show that's got it's own voice. Sure, culture wise it's the new SATC - but at the same time, it's nothing like SATC. It's just taking that baton and running with it in a different direction, a direction that's relevant to how women/girls are experiencing life now.

More Kate Upton please.. Hopefully she'll get another cover soon.

WELL SAID. :clap:

I think it's a great cover. I love that US Vogue is doing something different.

Seeing the Jezebel article about how it's been Photoshopped makes me, well, wish they hadn't Photoshoped her, but considering the best models in the world get Photoshopped, it's not like it's a surprise.

To be honest I find that Jezebel article quite distasteful not to say worse, and it totally defeated the purpose, it was like a twisted "naming and shaming", no different than the "bar of shame" of the Daily Mail. I find it baffling that "feminists" think it's alright to analyze a woman's body in such detail looking for signs of Photoshop.

Said that, in this day and age, I would not let Leibovitz photograph my Sunday barbecue much less anything that will be actually sold, her work is simply bizarre, it's like the people she photographs simply become cartoons with no resemblance to anything that actually lives.
Regardless, Lena deserves this cover, hate her or love her, she's relevant. I simply do not understand all the fuss in the media because Vogue is photographing a normal looking woman, Vogue US stopped being a "real" fashion mag a long time.

okay, so i must agree to the Leibovitz thing :rolleyes: her photographs are soo bad lateley, i mean, as vogue28 mentioned before, the trainstation shot looks like a greenscreen shot gone really wrong :doh:

they captured her so wrong in this whole shoot, that it makes me wish to see, what Terry Richardson :shock: would have done with her on location (where he normally produces good pictures, imo)

besides that i think the cover is okay & a nice twist for US Vogue
her stare is kinda awkward & gives me this exact same feeling, like everytime i see her ^_^

i think she's a smart girl
with Girls she took our viewing habits to trash by baring herself til it hurts.
building a fandom on that, with all the feminists & "normal" bodytype girls praising her, until the mainstream media couldn't ignore her any longer.
and now, when it comes to more money & success, she's just an opportunist, who goes with the business, as everyone else would, in her situation

same old, same old :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->