Vogue Italia October 2015 by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

I think it's fantastic!

Yes, it's very much Dazed or i-D

But it's the beginning of a new era for Vogue Italia and they have to experiment with new concepts, new demographics, new dialogues.

I mean, the pictures a not bad at all, I much prefer this side of their work than that photoshop madness they usually do... but the whole project just feel so insipid and disingenuous. It looks half as "cool" as they think it does.

People like Harley Weir and even Alasdair McLellan (not to mention all the greats from the 90's) have shot this kind of story with far more conviction, charm and originality

The main editorial looks like a spread of Vogue Paris or LOVE. Some shots are great, but i'm not impress.

How is this great for Italian Vogue?

Another high fashion rag doing gritty, angsty “youth” is fine— even interesting. But what’s the point when they don’t even have a point of view? It’s just copying Dazed, i-D, Another etc… I’d actually love to see IV’s (once) signature of hyper-stylized take on “Youth”.

And even worse with these two ultimate copycats, the style of varying lighting from shot to shot is a direct rip off of what Arena Homme Plus would feature in the late-90s.

Mess. Seems to me that there was no sense of composition. Like they just snap the models without thinking of framing. And this doesn't scream new, and its uninspiring really.

Yes, there are some cool images, but these don't belong in VI. And the layout is a bit of a mess, doesn't feel like there was any real through behind it.

Boring issue. This is not how I would portrayed a youth issue. I'm tired of the "cool kids" who look high/bored eds. No energy, nothing. It's just plain. I just feel sad looking at those pictures. What a waste.

There's no story, just flesh, flesh, flesh, pure Instagram level.
I thought a magazine now is supposed to be more selective, rather than polluting the Earth with toxic waste. Guess they don't think so.

There's no story, just flesh, flesh, flesh, pure Instagram level.
I thought a magazine now is supposed to be more selective, rather than polluting the Earth with toxic waste. Guess they don't think so.
totally agree, i already miss my favorite story teller

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE this. A lot. Say hello to the future b*tches, it looks brighter than ever to me.

I'm seemingly alone, but I'm so excited about M+M doing the whole issue. I love everything about their work.

I don't get the hating on the youth theme either - I think it's great, get in the new kiddies and build the brand!

Thank you Vogue Italia, more please!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was absolutely gutted at the thought of Meisel leaving, and while he can never be replaced, and will be sorely missed, Mert + Marcus, I believe, is true to what Vogue Italia is at its core ; leaning to the side of art. I'm really excited to see where their work and the magazine goes on this new chapter!

I mean, the pictures a not bad at all, I much prefer this side of their work than that photoshop madness they usually do... but the whole project just feel so insipid and disingenuous. It looks half as "cool" as they think it does.

People like Harley Weir and even Alasdair McLellan (not to mention all the greats from the 90's) have shot this kind of story with far more conviction, charm and originality

I don't agree at all. I think it's very cool. I like that it looks more like the work of M+M than some of their most recent work, which is a product of this glut we're in for the past few months and I hope they get back to being more experimental.

I liked Harley Weir's work but have become so bored of it, probably because of the millions of cheap knock off copycats. I just wish fashion would stop being so damn myopic and narrow minded and I hope Vogue Italia continues to mix it up and push new and established talent.

The feel of this new issue is an exciting taste of things to come.

that is the coolest story they did in a long time.....even if i miss steven meisel!!but that is supercool!!!

The final cover with month on it. I think those were just previews :smile:

I don't like the composition, I think the closeup looked better as a cover.
I like the hair movement but that image is not cover worthy imo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->