What to wear when you're a student

The typical student-uniform where I live now would be the straight legged/skinny jeans (both girls and boys), worn-down Chuck Taylor's, uniform-inspired jackets, messenger-bags, i-Pods (preferably playing some indie-rock noone has ever heard of)... Although it's nice to be able to go to school feeling comfortable and casual-cool, I wanna dress up! Somedays I get so tired of everyone, both the ladies and the gents, looking the same all the time... Oh well...

ahh i hate uniforms with a passion. I just like to wear blazers with a cute vintage tee underneath, some skinny jeans and converse. Am I the only one here who kind of likes when the converse get really worn down? (But not to the point where your toe is sticking out or something lol)

I also like my Converse worn-down, there's a lot of fun stories in those shoes, if I can put it that way...:D

I was boring, I wore cute dark jeans, black ballet flats and a black kind of off the shoulder shirt with my pink messenger bag.

Fade to Black said:
I don't think there should be a set rule for personal style in college...BUT I find especially annoying people who look down on or look at with an ostracizing eye towards people who like to be dressed up, even if just going to class or hanging out. I find it incredibly stupid that my school's facebook has a group whose title is somewhere along the lines of "People who get dressed up for class are idiots" So just because I don't look like some clone in ripped Hollister sweatpants, ugly New Balances and Michigan/Frat/Sorority sweatshirt I'm an idiot? It's because of this kind of mentality that college students are supposed to look relaxed or casual, or else you're not 'fitting in' that bothered me for the longest time. I even remember posting a thread on here early this year about whether it was OK to wear a suit in public, even if I'm at college because the herd mentality was making me question whether I would be standing out too much. In the end I just said f**k it, if dressing a bit sharper than Sloppy Joe at college makes me comfortable and confident, and allows me to stand a bit taller then I'll do what I want and forget what other people think of me! Call me an elitist if you want, but I'll take Dior Homme over Steve and Barry's, any day!

I'm going to preface my comment by saying that I absolutely do not "look down" on people who dress up for class. Personally, however, I just don't think it's practical. Last time I checked, University books were heavy, classes/desks were cramped, and campuses extended many miles in every direction - not exactly the best scenario for the Queen Mums if you ask me.:innocent:

Merged "Personal Style and College" with "Student Look '05" :flower:

Today's my first day of classes and I'm wearing:

Dior Homme blue jeans
white Cloak T-shirt
grey Cloak army jacket
NDC black distressed leather laceups

Hipkitten said:
I'm going to preface my comment by saying that I absolutely do not "look down" on people who dress up for class. Personally, however, I just don't think it's practical. Last time I checked, University books were heavy, classes/desks were cramped, and campuses extended many miles in every direction - not exactly the best scenario for the Queen Mums if you ask me.:innocent:

agreed. it's one thing to dress nice, but i just find it impractical and incomprehensible when someone overdresses to class.

School starts next week for me, I can't wait to start using my new Farhi bag.

Attachments

• 2005_0827Michelle0053.JPG
    2005_0827Michelle0053.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 3
I love that bag andy! It's perfect for school.

Fade to Black said:
I don't think there should be a set rule for personal style in college...BUT I find especially annoying people who look down on or look at with an ostracizing eye towards people who like to be dressed up, even if just going to class or hanging out. I find it incredibly stupid that my school's facebook has a group whose title is somewhere along the lines of "People who get dressed up for class are idiots" So just because I don't look like some clone in ripped Hollister sweatpants, ugly New Balances and Michigan/Frat/Sorority sweatshirt I'm an idiot? It's because of this kind of mentality that college students are supposed to look relaxed or casual, or else you're not 'fitting in' that bothered me for the longest time. I even remember posting a thread on here early this year about whether it was OK to wear a suit in public, even if I'm at college because the herd mentality was making me question whether I would be standing out too much. In the end I just said f**k it, if dressing a bit sharper than Sloppy Joe at college makes me comfortable and confident, and allows me to stand a bit taller then I'll do what I want and forget what other people think of me! Call me an elitist if you want, but I'll take Dior Homme over Steve and Barry's, any day!

Totally agree with you! I had this problem in high school also. Even some of my teachers would make a big deal about dressing up. One time one of my teaches asked me "if I had a job interview somewhere fancy" I love dressing up! I mean what fun is it to pic out which grey sweatshirt or logo t-shirt to wear every morning? Plus I find you are taken more seriously both in and out of class if you "dress up". Especially when going places, you aren't labeled as a annoying, immature college kid. I will defently be "dressing up" for class.

My school has a sweatpants club :sick:

I'm a jr in college so comfort is KEY! Espeically since I walk everywhere and I'm in class for somtimes 7-9 hrs per day.
Normally, it's a basic tank, tee, or thermal with jeans or cotton knee length skirts, with flat tall boots, ballet flats, flip flops, or Converse low tops. To spice it up, I throw on a bright, bold necklace (not so much the long ones but a few double stranded ones that aren't too long but aren't choker), a scarf in the hair, headband, or a funky belt.
Nothing to really write home about but it's definatly not "The Freshman Atire" (minis, heels, strappy tanks, knock off bags OR sweats and pjs with UGGS) that plagues our campus and gets worse every year!

My style hasn't changed much since before-the-Summer.

first day of school;
*Pink-and-white polka dot tee, with small poof on the shoulder.
*Bermuda shorts, beige.
*Metallic golden belt with a black flower pinned onto it.
*My favourite green Chloe flats.

general style;
*t-shirts, hoodies, jeans, lots of bracelets, converse, lots of purple and grey, black tights.

LifeNatureLove said:
I'm a jr in college so comfort is KEY! Espeically since I walk everywhere and I'm in class for somtimes 7-9 hrs per day.
Normally, it's a basic tank, tee, or thermal with jeans or cotton knee length skirts, with flat tall boots, ballet flats, flip flops, or Converse low tops. To spice it up, I throw on a bright, bold necklace (not so much the long ones but a few double stranded ones that aren't too long but aren't choker), a scarf in the hair, headband, or a funky belt.
Nothing to really write home about but it's definatly not "The Freshman Atire" (minis, heels, strappy tanks, knock off bags OR sweats and pjs with UGGS) that plagues our campus and gets worse every year!

well said, I think it's great to see students who are comfortable enough with themselves and their personal style not to have to obsess every day about being dressed a certain way. obviously I want to put in a good effort to look good, but sometimes you really don't feel like going the whole nine yards. it really depends on my mood on the day. if I wake up and feel I want to make an impression, I will dress up more. but sometimes I wake up and it's strictly a 'jeans and cozy sweater' day. :smile:

on my first day to class, though, I will be dressing up whether I feel like it or not, because I feel like in my last year of uni when I will be working quite closely with my professors it's important to make a good impression on them and appear professional, creative and well put-together.

Andy, I adore that bag!!!

My student days are finally behind me (I had to wear a uniform all through school and a white coat over whatever I wore through most of uni and med school) but I still really like the style of some students I see around.

Look forward to seeing more of your piccies,people:smile:.

citizens of humanity jeans... dark wash.. no butt pockets (naomi cut i think it is)
white ralph lauren polo shirt skinny cute with navy horse
brown leather rainbow sandals
purple apres de chien (sp?) nylon bag

i always just wear jeans and a white shirt.... my mom just got me this white miss sixty oxfored thats scrunched up on the sides with a french cut.... for 5 $$$ at the saks outlet... LOVE IT

Well my look this semester at uni (last one *sob*!) will be:
- Dark wash jeans
- White singlets - actually layering those with other clothes... I love to layer with different things. I love bonds singlets - I live in them.
- A lot of aqua/sky blue lol it's my colour!
-Skirts, not peasant style, but past the knee no less!

As for shoes:
-old fave converse pink high tops
-K Swiss sneakers
-cute slip on shoes - moccassins? I have them in Aqua and pink (so comfy)
-thongs

I guess my look would be:

blue velvet jacket (the one from H&M :heart: )
pastel pink or blue wraparound jacket (dancer-inspired)
white tank underneath
brown "used" corduroy pants or black pin-stripe pants
purple converse

with that either my backpack or my "balenciaga inspired" dark brown bag (I think the latter :woot: )
I'll post a pic later if I can manage to :flower:

hmmmm i just started school and got rave reviews over this out fit:

Sky BLue tee shirt over a button up shirt (cuffed to elbows with a cool square pattern)
pair of light wash jeans with very small tears
brown sued (sp?) timberland boots

i wish i had picks the description is pretty vague :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->