Chloé S/S 09 Paris

To be honest, Hannah looks like a most likeable person, and there's a sweetness and quirkiness in the collection. I would buy some of them if they were at Zara. Sadly, they're just "nice" and "cute" basics, not designer.

indeed. its just nice. it's like whats soo interesting about them you know.

I got a good retrospective look at Phoebe Philo's collections for Chloe thanks to the poster who resurrected the threads and to be honest, they were really *unremarkable*.

Well, that's obviously your opinion - it's clearly not mine, or the opinion of the legions of women who loved (and many who still love) Philo's work. :smile:

The problem for Philo is the level of her design calibre - with strong contemporary designers such as Haider Ackerman and Hussein Chalayan, up and coming younger teams like Preen, Erdem, Proenza Schouler, etc., all technically stronger designers eyeing that same "It Girl" niche, is she able to hold her own in this day and age? It would be interesting if she's going to be outshone by many brighter stars, the way they outdo Stella McCartney.

Again I, personally, do not agree that the names you mention are stronger designers than Philo and whether they are technically stronger designers than Stella, or not, I still, generally, prefer Stella's work to theirs.

As disco says, I'm pretty optimistic that Phoebe will be more than capable of holding her own, especially as Stella already does.

Also, Philo will be designing for Celine, so I'm assuming that the target customer will be slightly more mature than that of the designers you mention, anyway?

At the very least, the bags and shoes were desirable and saleable to the Chloe customer.

Not really, from what I've heard, anyway...

From what I've gathered, the last collection has been a definite improvement in terms of the appeal of the accessories to the Chloe customers that still remain (and who didn't defect to other designers after PMA's first show [as many did]), but sales were definitely way down prior to that (and I believe they still are).

Stelle Mccartney is like the poor mans Philo in terms of design ( not pricing lol) and she is turning a profit , Phoebe is a very talented woman and I think she will blow her contempraries out the water ,she knows what woman want. This collection by Hannah is a joke , those pants and shorts look like someone took a dump in them .

Stella McCartney is rapidly losing her time in the spotlight, not making waves or even talked about much at all, but her designs are still somewhat "Chloe" from the old days. Fashion's gravity seems to have shifted since Philo's days towards a more constructed, edgier, more complex,modern, less "retro-girlish" vibe....ok, maybe D2 still does it...^_^

Even Prada is getting shunted by the buzz around the likes of Balenciaga, Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Hussein Chalayan, etc. The old Chloe "formula" wouldn't make a fashion splash, I hope Philo herself has evolved, but her old stuff are very unimpressive by today's standard.

Well, that's obviously your opinion - it's clearly not mine, or the opinion of the legions of women who loved (and many who still love) Philo's work. :smile:

Again I, personally, do not agree that the names you mention are stronger designers than Philo and whether they are technically stronger designers than Stella, or not, I still, generally, prefer Stella's work to theirs.
chloehandbags, I see that you're taking opposite views a bit personal, please don't. everyone's speaking for themselves here, hence the number of "I see" "I got" "I think", etc. it's really not against your own preferences. :flower:

Full collection
chlo-r001-2008.10.04.20.44.09.106233_base.jpg
chlo-r002-2008.10.04.20.44.01.65933_base.jpg

chlo-r003-2008.10.04.20.43.53.752098_base.jpg
chlo-r004-2008.10.04.20.43.44.72914_base.jpg

chlo-r005-2008.10.04.20.43.35.1213653_base.jpg
chlo-r006-2008.10.04.20.43.27.1311372_base.jpg

chlo-r007-2008.10.04.20.43.20.647473_base.jpg
chlo-r008-2008.10.04.20.43.12.258505_base.jpg

chlo-r009-2008.10.04.20.43.06.219621_base.jpg
chlo-r010-2008.10.04.20.42.59.4847374_base.jpg

style.it

of course i wasnt referring to you! i hope you didnt take it any personal

No, no, I didn't think you were referring to me personally, but I thought I'd better say something, just in case, as I obviously knew I had been one of the people who had stated their disappointment at his first two collections. :flower:

i was just trying to remark the fact that everyone had such a terrible reaction to PMA's work, and i thought maybe this would make them consider if his work really was that bad...
of course he was no lagerfeld, nor philo... but i always thought his work looked right for the house and that people were criticizing him jsut because he decided that the doll-dresses w/ chunky heels of the latest seasons was over.

I hope no one was criticising his collections just for that reason - that would have been pretty shallow.

One man's meat is another man's poison. The beauty of this forum is that we're all free to agree or disagree about our perceptions of a particular design collection. This "legions of women" you're talking about - sorry, they don't make any difference to whether I, or any other poster here, like or dislike a particular designer's work. Maybe in a Chloe Financial CEO meeting it does. After all, "legions" are buying Forever21, and few have bought Jil Sander, but we still energetically post and comment about Jil Sander. So let's not use this mythical "legions" to back up or crush another's opinion, let's debate the merits or the weaknesses of the design as we see them. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
chloehandbags, I see that you're taking opposite views a bit personal, please don't. everyone's speaking for themselves here, hence the number of "I see" "I got" "I think", etc. it's really not against your own preferences. :flower:

Oh, is that how I 'sound'? :doh:

No, I'm really not, MulletProof. :smile:

I'm just trying to state my opinion, too and enter into the discussion.

Sorry if I came across as defensive; that wasn't my intention. :flower:

Overall, I'm very disappointed. I see a few pieces that are quite nice, but for the most part I'm not impressed.

OMG, bring back Phoebe. Or Paulo. I liked the past 4 collections of Chloe.
I don't even know what this is or what it's trying to say to its customer.
This is Celine level. :ninja:

i'm giving Hannah the benefit of the doubt for the fact that she used to be Phoebe's assistant so they should share about the same aesthetics. and also its her first season so give her a break! :D

I just like the last 6 looks, the others seem to all over the place, I mostly like those 6 last outfits because of the colors, and she needs to work in the pleated shorts, they look weird to me, boring shoes.

Honestly I see a ray of light in the future in which she will do better.

This collection look like one of those you see in NY where no one pays attention to and just there to fill the slot! Sad!
:heart:

Oh, is that how I 'sound'? :doh:

No, I'm really not, MulletProof. :smile:

I'm just trying to state my opinion, too and enter into the discussion.

Sorry if I came across as defensive; that wasn't my intention. :flower:
To be honest, you do sound like on the attack because you go after the poster's opinion with "me and the legions of Philo fans do not think so" tag instead of addressing the specifics I, or other posters, talked about, eg. I talked a lot about the new techniques that are used by the designers that are generating a buzz, on TFS or by critics in the fashion press, to discuss this particular collection or Philo's. If you had replied to these points, it will seem less "personal". Right now, if I don't know any better, I would have sworn you're posting from Philo's office!

Actually, if you have any news about Philo, do share, I'm interested to see if she has developed a new approach and if she did keep up with what's going on or has improved and is going to design something stunning at Celine, I'd be just as excited and supportive.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Very true, Zazie.

The beauty of this forum is that we're all free to agree or disagree about our perceptions of a particular design collection.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. :smile:

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it! :D

This "legions of women" you're talking about - sorry, they don't make any difference to whether I, or any other poster here, like or dislike a particular designer's work.

Of course not.

So let's not use this mythical "legions" to back up or crush another's opinion, let's debate the merits or the weaknesses of the design as we see them. ^_^

The only reason I used the term 'legions', was because I happen to know that there were many, many, customers of Philo's Chloe and the number reduced, significantly, after she left.

I certainly didn't use the term to try to intentionally crush your opinion, or your right to state your opinion - I really hope you don't think I did? :(

TBH, the only reason I (and presumably, also disco) responded to your post (#91) at all, was because you had made, what appeared to be, some pretty definitive statements, that I happened to disagree with.

Had you used a few 'IMO's or 'I think/thought's I probably wouldn't have replied at all, as I would have viewed them as your opinions and not as statements of fact. :smile:

Still, I hope you haven't taken what I've said personally, any more than I've taken what you've said personally (i.e. not at all! :D ) and here's to healthy debate! :flower:

To be honest, you do sound like on the attack because you go after the poster's opinion with "me and the legions of Philo fans do not think so" tag instead of addressing the specifics I, or other posters, talked about, eg. I talked a lot about the new techniques that are used by the designers that are generating a buzz, on TFS or by critics in the fashion press, to discuss this particular collection or Philo's. If you had replied to these points, it will seem less "personal". Right now, if I don't know any better, I would have sworn you're posting from Philo's office!

Of course I'm not and I very much doubt that Phoebe would feel the need to send a mole to defend her! :lol:

I'm just a fan of her work, just as many here are fans of various designers' work; do you really think so little of Philo that that is so hard to believe? :blink:

Actually, if you have any news about Philo, do share, I'm interested to see if she has developed a new approach and if she did keep up with what's going on or has improved and is going to design something stunning at Celine, I'd be just as excited and supportive.

I'm afraid I don't, but I look forward to seeing her new collection, of course and hope it will be both stunning and relevant. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinDeeWan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->