Vanity Fair November 2008 : Amy Adams by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott

Table of Contents

Features
186 SOME ENCHANTED AMY
Amy Adams was all washed up—yet another blonde trying to make it in Hollywood. Next thing she knew, there was a redheaded, full-fledged movie star in the mirror. With a stunning rollout of new films, including next month’s Doubt, Adams talks to Michael Shnayerson about her roller-coaster ride to an Enchanted height. Photographs by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. Web special: Video.

192 INSIDE COLOMBIA’S HOSTAGE WAR
Following the cinematic rescue of Ingrid Betancourt and 14 other hostages in July, is Colombia finally winning its battle with the farc guerrillas? Interviewing Betancourt, fellow prisoners, and President Álvaro Uribe, Maureen Orth explores a six-year jungle nightmare, the white-knuckle rescue mission, and the continuing ordeal of a captive nation. Portraits by Jonas Karlsson.

198 WILL’S CUP OF TEA
Of all Prince William’s would-be princesses, it was a St. Andrews classmate, Kate Middleton, who caught his eye, some six years ago. And a bumpy six years it’s been. As Britain waits for a wedding, Vicky Ward explains how the stewardess’s daughter learned to navigate the tabloids, please the Queen, and keep the future King in line.

204 SEARCHING FOR ROBERT JOHNSON
Surfing eBay, a vintage-guitar expert chanced upon what could be only the third known photograph of Robert Johnson, the ill-fated 1930s Delta-bluesman who—legend has it—met the Devil at the crossroads, acquiring a talent that would inspire Dylan, Clapton, and many more. Frank DiGiacomo joins the quest to authenticate the image and untangle Johnson’s legacy.

208 WHO IS WALL STREET’S QUEEN B.?
Is the rivalry between CNBC star Maria Bartiromo and up-and-comer Erin Burnett real, or just a tabloid fantasy? As they race to cover a deepening economic crisis, Suzanna Andrews reports on the “Money Honey” phenomenon. Portraits by Martin Schoeller.

214 POP TO THE PEOPLE
Annie Leibovitz and Ingrid Sischy spotlight Keith Haring, who would have turned 50 this year, but whose art still lives.

216 DR. NICHOLAS AND MR. HYDE
Lots of billionaires behave badly, but Henry Nicholas is in a class by himself. Charges that he defrauded investors at his high-tech powerhouse, Broadcom, have been overshadowed by allegations of drug-fueled, prostitute-filled binges and the construction of a secret lair beneath the mansion where he lived with his wife and children. Bethany McLean investigates the background of an epic hangover.

222 THE TWO FIRST LADIES
Dazzled by a star-spangled White House dinner party held in his honor by Jacqueline Kennedy, French culture minister André Malraux set out to lend America his country’s greatest jewel: the Mona Lisa. In an excerpt from her new book,Margaret Leslie Davis follows the delicate painting’s nerve-rattling journey, on the heels of the Cuban missile crisis, and the “Mona Mania” that gripped the headlines as the First Lady orchestrated a triumphant display of U.S. leadership.

FANFAIR
97 30 DAYS IN THE LIFE OF THE CULTURE
Con men—Guy Ritchie captures some of the cast of his latest film, RocknRolla

98 The Cultural Divide

100 Elissa Schappell’s Hot Type

102 Leslie Bennetts frames Milton Greene’s life in pictures; Olivia Strand discovers Katrina Markoff’s sweet life

104 My Desk—Martha Stewart

106 Julian Sancton grooves to RocknRolla; Graham Fuller applauds The Soloist

108 Punch Hutton goes island-hopping in the Bahamian archipelago

112 My Stuff—Ashley Olsen; Claire Howorth reads up on Miami’s literati; Night-Table Reading

114 Lisa Robinson’s Hot Tracks

116 Holding a candle for Cire Trudon; John Ortved detects a West Village scent-sation; Hot Looks

Columns
124 THE NEWS BLUES
Today’s news isn’t just bad; it’s apocalyptic. Even JamesWolcott, a committed pessimist who survived atomic-age jitters, can’t handle the headlines. Illustrations by Barry Blitt.

132 HALL OF FAME
Susan Rasco nominates sailing legend Gary Jobson, who has raced to raise more than $26 million for cancer research since he battled lymphoma. Portrait by Gasper Tringale.

134 REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
How much worse will the economy get? Nobel-laureate economist Joseph E. Stiglitz lays out the problems, the best-case scenario, and the way to reach it.

140 CHERIE BOMB
Cherie Blair’s Downing Street blunders, intentional and not, drew constant scorn from the British press. Her best-selling tell-too-much has given them fresh ammunition. In an interview with Leslie Bennetts, the U.K.’s former First Lady strikes back. Portrait by Wayne Maser.

154 SHE LIKED IT HOT
In an excerpt from his new memoir, Tony Curtis recounts his affair with a 22-year-old Marilyn Monroe, when they were two unknowns aching to make it, and their torrid reunion 10 years later on the set of Some Like It Hot.

166 QUANTUM PHYSIQUE
Miles Aldridge and Krista Smith spotlight Gemma Arterton, one of the rare truly British Bond Girls.

168 LEVINE IN WINTER
For four decades, being caricatured by the New York Review of Books illustrator David Levine was both a coveted honor and a humbling rite of passage. But as the artist’s eyes fail, his recent work has all but vanished from the Review’s pages. David Margolick outlines the poignancy of a career in its twilight. Photographs by Gasper Tringale.

VANITIES
181 TAKE A LOAD OFF, SALLY

182 The S.N.L. cast gets into Wii

184 George Wayne probes Denis Leary
Et Cetera

68 EDITOR’S LETTER
American Political Idol—Mutually-Assured-Destruction Edition

70 CONTRIBUTORS

88 LETTERS
Day of the Tyrant

119 FAIRGROUND

256 CREDITS

259 PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE
Tom Jones

She has "Doubt" set to debut during Oscar season co-starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep, based on a successful New York play by John Shanley. After that the Julia Child biopic.
:shock: Julia Child biopic?!.. oh my god. I need to see that!!.:cry::heart:

thanks for the info, Bahiyya. I might as well give Amy the.. benefit of the 'Doubt'. :P

I'm thrilled to bits to see Amy Adams on the cover and a nice cover it is too.:D The inside pics look good also.
I think Amy is a great actress and I've interested in her work snce seeing Junebug where she was outstanding. My only hope is that now she is becoming more mainstream, she isn't the next thing to be shoved down out throats.
For a change also I know very little about her and maybe I wanna know some more. I'm gonna get this, but I'm hoping not to see her everywhere anytime soon.

:shock: Julia Child biopic?!.. oh my god. I need to see that!!.:cry::heart:

The movie is based on the book Julia & Julia... did you read that MP :shifty: Meryl Streep plays Julia Child & Amy Adams plays Julia Powell.

I got my copy today... it is OK for an Oct issue... not nearly enough ads though it seems :huh: The photos of Amy inside have that soft focus look that M&M are so fond of.

Of all the magazines and types of journalism, Vanity Fair has to be my least favorite. It's articles are always salacious, talking about the greed, corruption, drugs, sex, of the rich, famous, and powerful; and written by writers who seem to revel in the misery of others.

It's nothing more than another tabloid, just maybe a more high-class version of the National Enquirer and The Sun.

^^ I'm pretty sure that's what it aims for even if one or two staff members have delusions of grandeur :lol:. It attempts a "hard hitting" political expose occasionally but deep, investigative pieces about Ol' Blue Eyes' lovers and the latest hot thing ODing in a hot night spot bathroom is its bread & butter. It's an industry mag so I figure it just represents the system :wink:. Pretty pictures, sometimes.

MMA does the article on Kate & William look any good? They're my new obsession ever since William started to bald, poor chap.

Here's the full UHQ scans of the VF cover & editorial (if anyone is interested, that is :ermm:).

**All scans by yours truly

:shock:

I'm interested! And your scans are gorgeous :flower:. Love Amy on the cover but the editorial...really VF has got to get over its Old Hollywood nostalgia, it's so *boring*. They put everyone from debut tv sitcom actresses to Oscar winners in the same darn get-up.

While I'm not particularly a great fan of Amy Adams and don't really appreciate her acting skills, I love this cover and her feature. She looks very "old Hollywood" and I had never imagined she could look like that. Thanks for the scans, kroqjock!

This is Amys second major cover this year right?There was also ELLE which if the reports i read are to be belived it did terribly and she did not sell, i dont know why since she is smart, talented and beautiful.

And no doubt George Clooney or Brad Pitt will be back on the cover soon enough. I got the issue today, and Amy's interview seems such a small part of the issue, she's easy to get past, if you don't like her. And this month, VF seems even more article-heavy than ever, there's certainly some reading it in.

MMA does the article on Kate & William look any good? They're my new obsession ever since William started to bald, poor chap.

I enjoyed the article... I knew nothing about her so it was interesting to me. There are a few pics.

The best for me in this issue was the feature on David Levine :wub: I love his drawings & my Father was a collector of his work... he always had a subscription to The New York Review of Books... so I grew up around them.

I enjoyed the article... I knew nothing about her so it was interesting to me. There are a few pics.

The best for me in this issue was the feature on David Levine :wub: I love his drawings & my Father was a collector of his work... he always had a subscription to The New York Review of Books... so I grew up around them.

Oooo, I didn't know about the Levine feature! I read NYRB too only more out of obligation these days because it's rather stodgy (Bookforum is so much more exciting). Levine is typically one of the highlights. I'll probably buy this VF then. Thanks for the info :flower:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->