Stella McCartney for H&M #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond Star said:
Stella's designs seem to improve with every collection so it will be intresting to see what she does.
Karl's range sold out so quickly,wonder if Stella's one will as well?
I think it might - I'm sure her collection will get a lot of publicity as well, so it will probably sell out quickly

so the collection should hit stores in nov, or dec, as i gather from the article, right?

Ohh that's nice I think...Stella is great and I hope she will do better than Karl, cause personally, I think his work was disappointing for H&M. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the news!

The fact that Karl's done it before her puts even more pressure on her to excel.

H & M

I love love love H & M. But I wish the clothes were available online or that they would put a store in southern California. Magazines always feature their clothes and then I cant get them here.

Does anyone know if they will be opening a branch in CA?

DistressedJeans

liberty33r1b said:
so the collection should hit stores in nov, or dec, as i gather from the article, right?

November in Denmark and since the collection probably hits all stores at the same time I guess it's gonna be november everywhere.

Stella McCartney for H&M

I don't know if this is already posted or whereelse to post it , if this is the wrong forum , so please move it away.I'm looking forward to see her collection :flower:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=aJxlyxrn5eyc
H&M Hires Stella McCartney to Design a Collection (Update5)

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Hennes & Mauritz AB, Europe's largest clothing retailer, hired Stella McCartney to create a collection for women in an effort to halt a decline in same-store sales.

H&M will sell clothes designed by the 33-year-old daughter of Paul McCartney in November, the Stockholm-based retailer said today in a statement. A collection by Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld in 2004 sold out within hours at some stores, helping H&M's revenue grow at the fastest monthly pace in two years.

``She's well recognized as one of the up-and-coming designers,'' said Rebecca McClellan, an analyst at Exane BNP Paribas in London with an ``outperform'' rating on the stock. ``She has a bias toward younger fashion, and that fits in pretty well with H&M.''

Chief Executive Rolf Eriksen, 60, has said his biggest challenge this year is boosting H&M's same-store sales and that he aims to repeat the Lagerfeld performance with other designers. Stella McCartney's clothes will be sold in stores across Europe and North America.

H&M is trying to develop its brand so the company can maintain or raise prices as cheaper Chinese textiles lead to more competition, Exane's McClellan said. H&M last month held a fashion show in New York City's Central Park and hired Italian designer Elio Fiorucci to develop a range of swimwear.

Shares of H&M fell 2.5 kronor, or 1 percent, to 250.5 kronor in Stockholm. The stock closed at 264 kronor, a five-year record, on April 15.

Gucci Venture

The Lagerfeld collection helped boost H&M's sales by 24 percent in November 2004. H&M's profit in the three months through that month rose 22 percent, also lifted by better inventory management, as cooler weather in Europe increased demand for jackets and coats.

McCartney started a joint venture with Gucci Group NV in 2001 that sells women's clothing, accessories and perfumes. She graduated in 1995 from London's Central St. Martins College of Art & Design and her final-year collection was bought by retailers such as Neiman Marcus.

McCartney's move to follow Lagerfeld's designing stint for H&M echoes a past career move: She succeeded the German designer as creative director of the house of Chloe in 1997.

``Chloe should have taken a big name,'' Lagerfeld said at the time, according to Hello magazine. ``They did, but in music, not fashion.''

Camisoles, Trouser-suits

McCartney's work at Chloe became known for ``delicate camisoles and Nineties updates of the Seventies trouser-suit,'' according to Vogue magazine's Web site.

Exane's McClellan said H&M probably is spending less to hire McCartney than Lagerfeld because ``Stella is not as iconic as Karl Lagerfeld.''

H&M sold Lagerfeld party dresses for $99.90 and wool coats for as low as $129. Chanel jackets by Lagerfeld, who has worked for the fashion house for two decades, normally start at about $2,250, while suits are priced from about $4,000.

``The price level of the garments in the Stella McCartney collection will actually be in the H&M price range,'' said Annacarin Bjoerne, a spokeswoman for the retailer. She said it's ``too early'' to say if prices will be similar to the Lagerfeld line.

Her Karl & H+M head of design speak about Stella

extracts from wwd of today :flower:

"I think the idea's genius, a perfect match," commented Karl Lagerfeld as Hennes & Mauritz on Wednesday said Stella McCartney would follow the Chanel designer in collaborating with the Swedish fashion giant on a collection for holiday retailing. The announcement confirmed a story in WWD on Wednesday.

"She's got a name, a face and a story," Lagerfeld said. "I'm sure it will be very different from what I did. It's a new dance. Another point of view. Today she's proved that she has real personality."

H&M said a one-time Stella McCartney for H&M collection would hit stores across Europe and North American in November. Retail prices should be along the lines of Lagerfeld's blockbuster collection, which caused a run on stores last fall for $19.90 T-shirts and $149 wool-cashmere coats.

"Stella's style is a mix between British tailoring and feminine things that is perfect for us," said Margareta van den Bosch, head of design at H&M. "We are thrilled to bring Stella's world to H&M."

In a statement, McCartney said designing for H&M "is one of the most exciting and innovative ways to introduce my clothes to a broader range of women."

Van den Bosch said choosing McCartney was a no-brainer. "We didn't want to think of Stella as a follow-up to Karl," she said. "We wanted something completely different."

She said McCartney would contribute some 40 pieces, including accessories and some underwear — but no men's wear.

"It's all very feminine, with soft colors and very sweet," said van den Bosch. "The sketches are great. It was important that we invite someone that people recognize."

Van den Bosch called McCartney's collection "much softer" than Lagerfeld's graphic, largely black-and-white collection of tuxedo shirts, sequined jackets and chiffon skirts.

"It's not a coordinated look," she said. "There will be a lot of separates and pieces that girls can combine in their own ways.

i think this will be just as bad as the lagerfeld thing. the designs were nice and i'm sure stella has some great ideas but there's no use letting a couture designer make some pieces if the fabric is cheap. designers are all about quality which, in my opinion, H&M doesn't provide.

*JJ* said:
there's no use letting a couture designer make some pieces if the fabric is cheap. designers are all about quality which, in my opinion, H&M doesn't provide.

:clap:

"H&M is trying to develop its brand so the company can maintain or raise prices as cheaper Chinese textiles lead to more competition, Exane's McClellan said."

Of course it's a good thing for H&M to strengthen their brand, but this is a bit hypocritical, isn't it? H&M themselves are already manufacturing stuff in China. Just like so many others...

The whole thing about Karl selling so fast is a complete fabrication. I saw KL for H&M over a month after it came out...

And how the devil is Stella 'British tailoring'? She cuts a mean sackcloth...

I heard that Stella will be desigining a line for H&M. I'm interested to see how that will turn out. Lagerfelds coollection for them stood out in the store as something different I think that her line will blend into the mass market easily. Does anyone know more about when its due in stores?

Stella McCartney for H & M

Stella McCartney for H & M

She's going to do a collection for H & M in autumn - same idea as the Karl Lagerfeld one I suppose, let´s hope something better!!! :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktkees1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->