US Vogue January 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mikaeal Jansson

dfl-001

Reaction score
qkFBZvMt_o.jpg

source: eBay member kevinkkelly1

This one will most surely appear in an 2050s online article about awkward magazine covers from 2010s.

Man oh man. All I can think of is how great Christy Turlington’s yoga cover was.

Models exist for a reason. As much as I like Lupita, I wish Vogue would give covers to other talented women of colors.

SUPYoga, all the rage right now! Anyway, I thought the shape issue was in April?

It's certainly eye-catching, but I'm as tired of Lupita as I am of Rihanna. She's overrated, 4th Vogue cover???? It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.

There’s a strong disconnect with everything. The pose is fun, the background looks fun, but her face looks so stiff (she’s gorgeous don’t get me wrong). I wish they chose a photo where she was smiling or laughing to lighten up everything! You have “feel-good” near her face, while meanwhile, she looks uncomfortable as hell. This looks less of a Yoga pose, and more of a praying not to fall pose. What a wasted opportunity indeed.

Why on earth will they use silver? This looks so cold. This would’ve been better with gold or red! But if the purpose was to make Lupita pop out, then job well done I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t help but think it looks like someone told to do a Yoga pose rather than someone who actually does Yoga, doing a Yoga pose. If that makes sense... Not all that convincing, but the colour scheme is nice for January I guess.

There’s a strong disconnect with everything. The pose is fun, the background looks fun, but her face looks so stiff (she’s gorgeous don’t get me wrong). I wish they chose a photo where she was smiling or laughing to lighten up everything! You have “feel-good” near her face, while meanwhile, she looks uncomfortable as hell. This looks less of a Yoga pose, and more of a praying not to fall pose. What a wasted opportunity indeed.

Why on earth will they use silver? This looks so cold. This would’ve been better with gold or red! But if the purpose was to make Lupita pop out, then job well done I guess.

Completely agree with you, although in Lupita's defense, there's just no way do do a perfect tree pose on a SUP (with the heel hiked up to cover the blank space below her crotch.) It's virtually impossible for even the most seasoned yogi.

They've done splendid metallic covers in the past which looked lively. Charlize, most recently Daisy. This one looks cold, lifeless and sterile indeed. I don't know who shot this one, but I'm guessing it's Leibovitz because she's very outdoorsy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a let down! I mean i am so over her on Vogue (can we get her a solo W cover?), but the woman photographs like a dream, so what is this? How did they do her so wrong? All her previous covers were fantastic to me, but nothing works here! Her face is tense, and i bet Annie shot this!

2018 must be the time to look cold and unhappy while doing something pointless.

It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.
Totally, she has always done this! Just goes to show how little imagination she has!! I will say that i would rather have Lupita on the cover over Sienna.etc

I bet she has Dakota on the Feb cover for the third time. ^_^:lol:

It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.

Yep, and I prefer the old ones. At least they looked good in pictures (they still do).

This is just weird. Awkward pose and expression and so not glamorous.

Lupita is stunning, the background and overall concept are nice and even that Dior dress isn't too bad, yet nothing seems to work here. Seriously don't get how they messed this up when they had all the right elements to make a good cover.

I LOVE Lupita, but even I had a 'wow, again' moment. It's annoying when magazines just use the same cover stars over and over again, even when I like them. I feel Lupita has had more Vogue US covers to date than actual movies.

Why Lupita again...would love to see Viola Davis or Kerry Washington on the cover

The cover would be 100x better if they showed Lupita with her beautiful, beaming smile. Otherwise I think it's lovely. I adore the colours, it gives the image a bright, fresh feeling, and I love the dress.

It could be a cover from the early 00s and I'm enjoying that vibe.

I like it if only because it´s a weird cover :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuttinthru
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->