Stella McCartney for H&M #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
dux_delux said:
Found some more pictures of the Stella collection - on mannequins :woot:
They´re only doing womenswear

copy paste link to new window:
javascript:openWindowSlideShow7412('/DNet/road/Classic/article/0/jsp/clickImageRender.jsp?minor=479026&major=1&imageNo=0','Bildspel',600,550)

help, it doesnt work for me!;-)

From the H&M wesite (www.hm.com:(

Stella McCartney for H&M' features designer's signature style staples

Stella McCartney's one-off autumn collection for H&M is a combination of her signature style of sharp tailoring, irreverence and cool femininity. Tailored classics are updated with modern and romantic details. Feminine evening wear pieces are embellished with diamante details and ribbons. Basics like denim and knitwear play on contrasting silhouettes of oversize and narrow. All items work separately and are perfect to mix and match.

'Fit and details are really important to me when I'm working on a design. I prefer to work with items that work together or independently. My one off collection for H&M is pretty much like the pieces I do for my own signature collection. It is built around separates. Styling is the key. No matter how personal the design is, what really counts are the way you put things together and how you express your own personality', says Stella McCartney.

For an effortlessly stylish daywear look there are drainpipe fine wool trousers with ankle zips in black or Glen check. They can be worn with a funnel neck slouchy oversized zip up wool sweater or a men's style oversized fine cotton shirt with French cuffs. Feminine evening wear includes pieces that can be worn alone or mixed with tailored separates. The classic tailored single button fine wool jacket in black can be worn over a quirky organic cotton t-shirt with print illustrations, or over a silk empire cut diamante embellished blouse in canary yellow or dusk blue. They can be paired with either classic cut cuffed trousers, drainpipe trousers or narrow denim jeans with sharp details and ankle zips. Outerwear includes a nylon relaxed belted trench, a fitted denim jacket, a silk zip up blouson, and a double breasted wool coat with satin details. The perfect party pieces are a washed silk spaghetti strap dress in garnet red or black, a short sleeved wrap dress in dusk blue or tea rose, or a one piece belted silk jumpsuit in black or dusk blue. Other items include a silk camisole and shorts, a bag and scarves.

'Stella McCartney is the favourite designer of many fashion conscious customers. I think it is because she knows how to make women look feminine, sensual and cool at the same time. In my opinion, she has initiated the new romanticism in fashion today', says H&M's head of design Margareta van den Bosch.

The highly anticipated one off Stella McCartney for H&M autumn 2005 collection will hit approximately 400 selected H&M stores in 22 countries worldwide beginning November 10.

Stella McCartney launched her eponymous label in 2001 as a joint venture with Gucci Group. The brand already includes a successful range of women's ready-to-wear, accessories, fragrance, eyewear as well as an acclaimed performance range with adidas. The Stella McCartney brand is distributed in 43 countries and operates three flagship stores in London, New York and Los Angeles.

invis.gif
invis.gif
invis.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
just wanted to make sure everyone saw this bit

".....There were baggy, silky trousers drawn in at the ankle, low-waisted dresses, satin dungarees and even a budget version of her sexy tie-above-the-knee boots..."

i wonder how rare the boots will be. i wonder if this is even true!

yeah. i'll take the day off from class, thank god there are 3 h&ms in my reach that carry her collection :-) some of those clothes are cute.

on hm.com those pictures can't be of the whole collection, right?

I mean I see they have added since last time but it looks empty, like something's missing. hmm ..... anyhow I do NOT like the bikini.

I'm actually feeling a lot more indifferent about this collection now I've seen it on models. I was excited when I saw in the Sunday Times and had put nearly everything on my want list.

But I am just not getting that feeling from the Vogue site (by the way, thanks for the link!)

...Maybe I'll feel different when I can actually feel the clothes.

Also, was it just me, but did Liberty Ross look absolutely knackered? ...I thought she looked 10 years older. :ermm:

etzn8g.jpg

Is this from the Stella M H&M collection? I havent seen it anywhere apart from here.

i have to say i loved karl lagerfeld's collection for H&M... unfortunately i was only fast enough to snatch one of the tuxedo shirts

source: nytimes.com

The 3 Faces of Stella

By ERIC WILSON
Published: October 27, 2005

A RUNWAY used to be enough.

A few decades ago, when a handful of designers controlled the direction of fashion, getting the message was as simple as looking at the clothes. Now there are more than 500 designers in New York, Milan and Paris alone, with as many different voices and stories to sell. It's a lot to sort through, even for the professionals. No wonder more people know Stella McCartney as the daughter of a Beatle than as a fashion designer. And those who know her work still may have difficulty, even after nine seasons, describing what her clothes are about.

27stella-.jpg
Pierre Verdy/Agence France-Presse--Getty Images
Stella McCartney.

"The name recognition is there for me, but people don't always know what I do," Ms. McCartney said candidly last week. "When you're caught up in the industry and all the glamour and parties, you assume that everyone knows what you do, but they don't, really."

Ms. McCartney is famous. That was enough for H&M, the Swedish retailer of fast fashion, to enlist her to design a one-time collection, which will arrive in 400 stores on Nov. 10. Clearly H&M hopes to repeat the success of a similar promotion with Karl Lagerfeld last year.

That event was a retail phenomenon, with lines forming outside stores in New York and throughout Europe and chaotic shopping scenes on the day the clothes arrived. But those customers knew very well that Karl Lagerfeld has designed expensive clothes for some 50 years, including Chanel and Fendi; they regarded the H&M collection as a deeply discounted sample sale.

After succeeding Mr. Lagerfeld as the designer at Chloé in 1997, Ms. McCartney started her own line with the Gucci Group in 2001. Her first collection was roundly drubbed, leading to industry sniping that Phoebe Philo, her assistant at Chloé who succeeded her, had done the heavy lifting.
Since then Ms. McCartney's shows have been uneven. She is perhaps more famous for browbeating Madonna out of wearing a fur coat and for her public disapproval of the marriage of her father, Paul McCartney, to Heather Mills. Mr. Lagerfeld, who has tangled with Ms. McCartney in the past over his fur designs, once dismissed her as "a T-shirt designer."

Ms. McCartney has since been the subject of complimentary comments by Mr. Lagerfeld after she demonstrated a more assertive point of view in her recent collections. This spring's gauzy white dresses trailing with ribbons and this fall's chunky sweaters that droop to the knees had waiting lists nearly as long at her store in the meatpacking district.

There is a cult of Stella, young women who relate to her rock-chick T-shirts worn under tailored pantsuits in men's wear fabric. Part of the appeal of those designs is that they are not widely recognized outside the fashion circuit.

"Stella is like the best girlfriend you imagine yourself to have," said Kristina O'Neill, the fashion features director of Harper's Bazaar. "That translates into the clothes. She put out a trademark and stuck to it: her skinny jeans, her blouson jackets, the wash-and-go silk dresses and dusty palette. Every season she goes back to her touchstones and then pushes further."

Whether lightning will strike twice for H&M is as much a gamble for Ms. McCartney as it is for the retailer. Robert Polet, who joined Gucci Group as chief executive last year after the tumultuous departures of Domenico De Sole and Tom Ford, set a profitability goal of 2007 for the company's smaller brands, which also include Balenciaga and Alexander McQueen. Ms McCartney has been given a two-year deadline to turn a profit on her $39 million business, which has been growing quickly but operating at a loss because of expensive store openings in London, New York and Los Angeles. Luxury goods analysts have added pressure by recommending that those brands be sold off, as a report from HSBC suggested this spring, to focus on the much larger Gucci brand.

A reliable way to help achieve profitability is selective licensing. In one such license Ms. McCartney began designing sports apparel for Adidas. Now, with her H&M deal, she is approaching Lagerfeld territory in terms of prolificacy - and with valid motivation.

Some designers argue that designing for the masses, even on a limited scale or for a one-time event, dilutes the value of their signature brands. But that thinking seems so 1990's. Fashion today is one big exercise in celebrity marketing, and Ms. McCartney is using her name to get ahead.

The reported $1 million fee she received from H&M is going toward the bottom line of her company, and the multimillion-dollar advertising campaign H&M is financing to promote the collection will increase her exposure around the world. (Margareta van den Bosch, the head of design at H&M, would not discuss the company's payment to Ms. McCartney.)

"I would be lying if I didn't say this helped financially," Ms. McCartney said. "But I would never jeopardize my brand for any amount of money. We're asked to do things on a regular basis, and the majority of them have been turned down."

Little surprise, then, that Ms. McCartney is enthusiastic about promoting her work for H&M.

"The days of elitism in fashion are over," she said, recounting how customers had told her over the years that they would love to buy her clothes, if only they could afford them. Her chunky sweaters typically sell for about $1,000, and her narrow suits can cost thousands.

"It is a misconception of the luxury goods industry that the top end of ready-to-wear is not always accessible," she said. "I want people to understand what I do, instead of only seeing something in a glossy magazine."

As she talks about her work for Adidas - McCartney-esque in its loose sweatshirts with drawstrings at the neck and hem and jodhpurlike sweatpants configured with zippers at the ankles - she can sound as if she is the first designer to conceive of workout clothes with a stylish bent.

"I used to think there must be some technical reason why women's sports clothes were always pink and baby blue, as if they deflect heat or keep the sweat out," she said. The Adidas pieces are expensive for workout wear, but they have done so well since their introduction this spring that distribution has been expanded in Europe and Asia.

She described the H&M clothes as "the best of Stella McCartney," about 40 looks taken from her past collections and recreated at a fraction of the cost with basic fabrics and production in Romania. Her involvement lasted less than a week: two days selecting the designs and talking about fabrics and trims, maybe a day to work out the color scheme, and three fittings over two days. What is remarkable is that the samples, when they were shown in H&M's New York showroom last week and on a runway at a party in London on Tuesday, look very much like Stella McCartney.

An elongated double-zip chunky knit cardigan, with wide ribbing at the hem so that it can be scrunched up as a sweater or worn long as a short dress, will cost $79.90; a baggy brown trench coat with pink mesh lining is $69.90; skinny jeans are $69.90. A cropped gray plaid blazer with yellow trim on the pockets and at the buttonhole is $129, and matching skinny pants are $59.90.

There are also several T-shirts in the collection printed with graphic line drawings and embellished with chains, aged rhinestones and embroidery, a motif she uses in her signature line and on Adidas sweatshirts.

For Ms. McCartney there is more riding on such brand expansions than competitive bragging rights with Mr. Lagerfeld, should the introduction of her H&M line induce a frenzy similar to his. "If not, I'll be gutted, as they say in England," she said.

Inadvertently the line received considerable attention when the model Kate Moss, who had been photographed for an H&M advertising campaign, became the subject of an investigation for alleged drug use last month. H&M's awkward handling of the matter, first standing behind Ms. Moss, then abruptly dumping her from the campaign, reflected concerns among fashion companies that customers would be offended.

Ms. McCartney said she did not expect the controversy to affect the demand for her line. But even the complete absence of a model in an H&M ad that appeared in the latest issue of Paper magazine was fodder for followers of the Moss affair. (On Tuesday H&M announced that the model Mariacarla Boscono will appear in its television ads.) Ms. McCartney was typically outspoken on the subject.

"A lot of that was unfair for Kate," she said. "I think the majority of people felt she was unfairly treated by the media. The general public is not as stupid as the media thinks they are."

H&M, long a lightning rod for controversy among designers who complain that fast fashion, or cheap chic, has a negative impact on luxury sales, is beginning to resemble the retail version of designer Cliffs Notes. In a strange way that could benefit Ms. McCartney. Four years is not very long to develop a signature look, and her small collection for the store may be a clearer statement about her perspective on fashion than the collective work she has been selling in her own stores.

Mr. Lagerfeld's H&M collection was so in tune with his look that some customers bought his high-collar shirts, skinny ties, scrunched jeans and severe black jackets so they could dress as him this Halloween.

20stella_slide1.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Lars Klove for The New York Times[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]TO SWEAT Adidas silver packaway jacket, $250, and running shorts, $50.[/SIZE][/FONT]

20stella_slide2.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Lars Klove for The New York Times[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]TO STYLE H&M wool blazer, $129, and skinny pants, $59.90; silk camisole, $59.90.[/SIZE][/FONT]

20stella_slide3.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]TO SPLURGE Stella McCartney multicolor chunky knit sweater, $1,665, and thighhigh boots with tie tops, $795.[/SIZE][/FONT]

20stella_slide4.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]An oversize trench jacket, $129, from Stella McCartney's H&M collection. [/SIZE][/FONT]

20stella_slide5.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]An oversize funnelneck sweater with zip front, $79.90, and skinny denim jeans with ankle zip, $69.90, all from Stella McCartney's H&M collection.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

20stella_slide6.jpg

spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1] A dropwaist silk dress, $99.90,from Stella McCartney's H&M collection.[/SIZE][/FONT]

oh man, i'm sooo gonna buy this embroidered silk jacket, it's just gorgeous!!!
and also the blk bow jacket (just lovely!) and the tulip skirt!!!

liberty33r1b said:
oh man, i'm sooo gonna buy this embroidered silk jacket, it's just gorgeous!!!
and also the blk bow jacket (just lovely!) and the tulip skirt!!!

I can't really tell what the silk jacket looks like. What's on it? It looks thick like wool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->