Project Runway Season 5

Is it just me or does this Valentino remind me a lot of Leanne's foldings in her wedding dress...hmmm something to think about

00410m.jpg

10.jpg

style and nymag

My god, that blog is my new favorite thing.

I rarely laugh that hard.

^ I noticed that too. Tim was so sweet, he genuinely cares about all the designers. To see him get emotional got me kind of teary!

kenley dress that she showed to tim was a complete alexander mcqueen knock off! lily donaldson wore the same dress in yellow. feathers and tulle. she's got to be kidding me! :angry:

i don't understand why tim didn't warn kenley that her dress was such a rip off. i mean he must have knew.

ok i'm all caught up with tivo. i cannot believe jerrell lost! ok, yes, his dresses were pretty ugly but he won the last challenge...why pick a winner then? I can see where he was going with the wedding dress, but it just got too sloppy. I rather see him at bryant park than someone who rips off someone else's design. let's hope the rest of her collection is of her own creativity.

i love korto, but her dresses were not pretty at all.
oh, i'll miss jerrell...he was such a cutie

It's not really that odd.

She said she grew up in Florida and moved to NY right out of college, so she's on her own up here.

The rest of the designers live near their families.

As for her dress, my whole thing is this. If something is a complete knockoff, and Kenley's dress is, it's not just a vague similarity between hers and McQueen's, I don't care how well made and perfect it is. The fact that there's zero originality kills it for me. I'd rather have a poorly executed dress that looks like the designer put their own stamp on it than a perfectly executed xerox of another designer's work. In the case of PR, originality should win out over execution. If these designers are being groomed as the next great American designer, it's important to remember that the fashion world is probably more likely to forgive and forget an uneven hem before they forgive and forget that you plagiarized someone else's work.
my sentiments exactly! i can't stand that kenley made it so far! :angry:

It's not really that odd.

She said she grew up in Florida and moved to NY right out of college, so she's on her own up here.

The rest of the designers live near their families.

As for her dress, my whole thing is this. If something is a complete knockoff, and Kenley's dress is, it's not just a vague similarity between hers and McQueen's, I don't care how well made and perfect it is. The fact that there's zero originality kills it for me. I'd rather have a poorly executed dress that looks like the designer put their own stamp on it than a perfectly executed xerox of another designer's work. In the case of PR, originality should win out over execution. If these designers are being groomed as the next great American designer, it's important to remember that the fashion world is probably more likely to forgive and forget an uneven hem before they forgive and forget that you plagiarized someone else's work.

It didn't appear to be a total rip-off to me...there were elements, it seemed more like the red dress he did than the off-white ballerina style one. I still feel like she should've made it, yes her originality was lacking but her collection was superior to Jerrell and even Korto in some ways.

I mean just think back to Christian last season, his style was clear rip off of several designers he had worked for.

I think Christian was the same way and he was the "villain" at the time too. But he later said they edited out the friends and family he had over, so I wonder if they do it on purpose.

But they showed Santino and Jeffery's family/friends, so maybe the whole "villain" thing doesn't have anything to do with it.

It didn't appear to be a total rip-off to me...there were elements, it seemed more like the red dress he did than the off-white ballerina style one. I still feel like she should've made it, yes her originality was lacking but her collection was superior to Jerrell and even Korto in some ways.

I mean just think back to Christian last season, his style was clear rip off of several designers he had worked for.

Let's be realistic, it was a total ripoff. Make the red McQueen dress in the cream color and you have Kenley's dress....the design is identical and there is absolutely no way in hell that she didn't have his dresses in mind when she made hers. It's just not possible. Bottom line, she plagiarized a dress. That should be a much bigger deal then the way it was treated. Her line and Jerrell's line didn't have anything to do with the descision that was made, so based on the fact that her wedding dress was a rip-off of another designer's work and Jerrell's wasn't, I think the wrong person was sent home.

But since you mention Christian, I also though he should've been called out for how much his work looked like other designer's signatures. And even though I had a gut feeling that the little twit would win, I had hoped he wouldn't because of that fact. He didn't do anything original, he just blew up the proportions on pieces that other designer's have already made their own. But unfortunately the one piece he made that looked extremely influenced by another designer's work (ironically it was also McQueen) wasn't a deciding factor in whether or not he would make it to Bryant Park. Just the way it worked out I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you enjoyed the blog, Spike. The commentary they made for the reunion is spot-on and very funny.
Tim:"Uh-oh, Heidi! Looks like trouble in Twink Paradise!"
:rofl:

I had a hard time keeping a straight face as the judges called out Kenley for her McQueen knock off...months after crowning Christian the winner of last season.

Is it just me or does this Valentino remind me a lot of Leanne's foldings in her wedding dress...hmmm something to think about

That white dress is almost exactly like Leanne's wedding dress. :ninja:

I guess Kenley isn't the only one without imagination, not that that makes it ok. I just wish the judges were more vocal;y against it instead of letting it slide. I mean the show's purpose isn't to find the next great designer for Target or something. I also think they're having a hard time finding talented people (it is season 5 after all).

Korto's been my favorite since the early episodes. And now I really believe she is the only one who is original and creative. I hope she wins :flower:

But they showed Santino and Jeffery's family/friends, so maybe the whole "villain" thing doesn't have anything to do with it.

Let's be realistic, it was a total ripoff. Make the red McQueen dress in the cream color and you have Kenley's dress....the design is identical and there is absolutely no way in hell that she didn't have his dresses in mind when she made hers. It's just not possible. Bottom line, she plagiarized a dress. That should be a much bigger deal then the way it was treated. Her line and Jerrell's line didn't have anything to do with the descision that was made, so based on the fact that her wedding dress was a rip-off of another designer's work and Jerrell's wasn't, I think the wrong person was sent home.

But since you mention Christian, I also though he should've been called out for how much his work looked like other designer's signatures. And even though I had a gut feeling that the little twit would win, I had hoped he wouldn't because of that fact. He didn't do anything original, he just blew up the proportions on pieces that other designer's have already made their own. But unfortunately the one piece he made that looked extremely influenced by another designer's work (ironically it was also McQueen) wasn't a deciding factor in whether or not he would make it to Bryant Park. Just the way it worked out I guess.

Well, I'll be interested to see what she has to say about the editing and if there were people at her apartment because even Jerrell said she wasn't that bad.

Anyway I'm glad to see your thoughts on Christian because I was curious whether you felt the same about his looks. I'm not really sure why the judges let it slide, but I think their youth has something to do with having little original direction. Their only experience is from other designers and not much from themselves and general life experience. Christian was obviously heavily influenced by McQueen through most of his season....

^ I don't even know that it's their youth so much, though you could be onto something. But then again, Jillian from last season was the same age as Kenley (about 25) and had spent time working at Ralph Lauren, and her work didn't look heavily influenced by RL, but she was only called out in the bottom once (I'm pretty sure that was it anyway).

I think the fact that both Christian and Kenley do good technical work plays a big part in why the judges have overlooked the fact that their designs are heavily influenced by other designers. Their garments are always well finished and fit properly, which seems to be the top priority most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear i want to be friends with Jerrell and Korto, they seem like such cool individual's, i am so sorry to see him go and someone like Kenley stay, but its dont now.

I hope Leanne or Korto win.^_^

I didn't know Jillian was only 25! OMG...she looked older...:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->