Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2010

Akon: if I had known you were going to dub over my performance, I wouldn't have bothered rehearsing.

Lily Aldridge, although I love her personality, is absolutely TERRIBLE on the runway. Her walk sucks, her facial expression is wonky and she has no idea what the f she's doing at the end of the runway. Plus I just find her so bland. She looks like she should be modeling for Limited Too, not VS.

Julia Stegner and Winberg have got to go. Their time is up. What I find funny is that Julia gets hired every year, but Hana S who represents a similar body type and goes to the casting EVERY year never gets picked. Personally, I'd pick Hana over Julia. Trade Winberg for Trentini.

Last edited by a moderator:
aw I like Wineberg at the VSFS. Even if she get some ridiculous outfits (i.e last year's fishnet dress) she still manages a smile and looks good. Plus she's one of those girls from the 2005 era that I love seeing on the runway. (and this is the only runway we see her on :shifty: )

Did Charlotte Stockdale work with Todd Thomas on the outfits this year?

Did Charlotte Stockdale work with Todd Thomas on the outfits this year?

yes, watch the credits at the end of the finale and you'll see Charlotte's name. I know it's weird this year we don't see her in any of the videos, but she's credited at the end of the show.

From jezebel.com:

A curious thing about the Victoria's Secret commercials and fashion show: Despite the valiant efforts of everyone involved, the results are decidedly not sexy.

-snip-

Take the Victoria's Secret holiday 2010 commercial, shot by Michael Bay. The music starts out tentative, light, soft, quiet… and then explodes into a fast, hard-hitting frenzy. The models are shot to be approaching the viewer from a low angle, making them look slightly menacing and larger than life. They're also hanging out in empty, deserted locations — no human contact.

-snip-

And then there's the fashion show — which 9 million Americans watched. Dubbed "A Night Of A Thousand Fantasies," the ensembles were, at best, completely absurd. At worst: Racist.

Kia Miakka Natisse writes for The Grio
:

All of the ethnic models got to walk the runway in the wild things segment, replete with "tribal" body paint.

When someone sticks all the models of color into a segment called "wild things" it just subliminally reinforces the racist rule that all non-European cultures are abnormal, odd, wild, and deserving of any and all exoticism. It comes off culturally insensitive and pandering, a cheap way of feeling ethnic and diverse without contributing anything concrete. Better to not single out the small collection of models of color and label them "wild." What makes them so different from any of the other leggy beauties? In the end, they all have boobs, and isn't that what we're here for?

Ah yes, one of the oldest, most reliable male fantasies of all: Not only is the woman an object, she's an exotic creature from a "tribe," who probably doesn't speak English. Feel free to slap a bra on her and treat her anyway you like!

The article covers two areas, one part is about the Christmas commercial, most of which I snipped because it is off topic for this thread, but it is linked if someone wants to read that part.

I don't think that VS is above reproach and I definitely support being mindful about straying into racial and gender stereotypes, but the assertions about the Wild Things segment are absurd to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, watch the credits at the end of the finale and you'll see Charlotte's name. I know it's weird this year we don't see her in any of the videos, but she's credited at the end of the show.

Thanks Littlearthquakes :flower: Like you said, it was strange we didn't see much of her, considering in the past two shows, they've had features on her and Todd designing everything.

jezebel's articles lately seem like they are coming from some seriously uninformed or not well researched people

did they not notice how Chanel Iman was in THREE segments and NONE of which were Wild Things?
or how Gracie Carvalho was in Country Girls, Lais & Liu Wen were both in Game On?
or consider Adriana and Ale and other girls with Hispanic ethnicities....

I am all for calling BS or racism when I see it, but I disagree on this account completely.
If they wanted to harp on anything why wouldn't it be some sort of women's rights?

---

as for the VS Christmas commercial, I think this year's is complete crap. I miss when it was so sensual and Christmas-y, not this Michael-Bay-transformers-in-lingerie-with-fire-to-make-it-feel-edgy-mess, and wtf with the random horse? ugh I could go on, but I will stop

^Unfortunately, they didn't use any of the Christmas-y shots in the commercial. They were heading in that direction. Don't know what happened.

I'm not sure if I like this years' commercial. I wished they did another commercial like the 2008 Holiday one. That one was magical.

^ 2008 was one of the BEST christmas commercials VS has done

^ AGREED. but I honestly can't imagine a commercial like that now with the likes of Erin/Lily A/itsmechaneliman

I don't know about you guys, but I cannot wait to see Doutzen and Miranda return! It will be good to have a balance between the girls and women, and hopefully them returning will decrease attention on that trio lol.

I looooved the 2008 commercial. the setting, the tone (colors), the models, the music....it really was perfect

2010 VS Fashion Show in 12 Minutes
youtube/VICTORIASSECRET
via finchesthalia in Alessandra Ambrosio's thread

^start at 9:27 and you'll see what i was talking about when they made the litle girl sounds backstage and the models then look all serious..

and i also find it hilarious that VS managed to fit their show into 12 minutes.. and took out some of the worst (and some of the best) stuff..

So what newcomers were your faves this year and who do you think will return?

I think Katsia, Lily D, Magda, and Lais are gonna be girls to get more/better outfits in shows to come. They seriously proved themselves, and they all rocked their outfits!

I really liked Fabiana too! I feel like if she got a more revealing outfit, maybe in Heavenly Bodies, she would have looked STUNNING. Heloise was fun, and I'm pretty sure she'll be back.

I love the Brazilian girls for VS, but I wasn't too big on Marta and Gracie. I think they were one time girls. Constance wasn't as good as I thought she would be, as well as Jac Jab.

Maryna didn't wow me as much as she did in the previous shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->